The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian

Discussion Forum for 'The Fylde and Wyre Antiquarian'
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:09 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian (in association with Wyre Archaeology).

Post subject: Blackpool's new trams.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:43 pm 

Why is it that a heck of a lot of people seem to be moaning about Blackpool's new 'Bombadier' trams.

I understand there will be a significant loss of heritage with many of the old English Electric and Brush trams either sold, scrapped or mothballed.

And while the new trams represent a radical departure from the traditional fleet, was this not the case when Walter Luff introduced the Railcoaches and Double-Deckers as part of his five-year plan in the thirties?

I'm just curious about the opposition to the new trams.

After all, isn't Blackpool's motto 'Progress?'

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Blackpool's new trams.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:16 pm 

You said it yourself – “there will be a significant loss of heritage.” I don’t think that the two events are strictly analogous; plenty of other towns still had their old trams in the early 1930s. Also, there is something very special about 1930s’ streamlined styling. They are part of Blackpool’s appeal and it does not seem that enough examples are being retained.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Blackpool's new trams.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:03 pm 

Whilst not wishing to get into an argument here, not much of Blackpool's tram heritage was left following Luff's five-year plan (one dreadnought, a Standard or two) and that plan was indeed radical.

And whilst personally I would have ordered a fleet of Coronations with all the latest modifications and technology to maintain that 'heritage' feel, I can't help but wonder that if Luff was around today, the Flexity 2 model would have been in his range.

As much as I love the old Blackpool trams, I can't help but think how much a lot of those old cars have been bastardised, modified, call it what you will (obviously, mostly to keep them running all these years) to the extent that there is much less rememblance to the original model.

They had become slow, rickety, uncomfortable - in a nutshell no longer fit for purpose. And yes, of course, there are many fine specimens remaining, the Coronations among them.

Whoever gave the instruction to carry out the lobotomy on the Brush Cars all those years ago whereby the twin destination windows became one clearly made a mistake. The result clearly didn't suit the car's design.

So, good luck to the Flexitys. But I can't hep thinking...

Report this post