The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian

Discussion Forum for 'The Fylde and Wyre Antiquarian'
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:03 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian (in association with Wyre Archaeology).

Post subject: German Ticket from 1909
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:17 pm 

I found a piece if paper in a 19th century history textbook, that is in German. It says June 2nd, 1909, 30 days. There are quotes on the back that I can't make out, also in German. I don't know what it is, If you could identify it that would be very helpful. The picture of both sides is attached. Thank you.

Attachments:
File comment: Front
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.56 MiB | Viewed 827 times ]
File comment: Back
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.52 MiB | Viewed 827 times ]
Report this post

Post subject: Re: German Ticket from 1909
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:46 am 

Hello, I will give it a go...
This slip of paper appears to be a Küchen Zettel - a kind of German ticket for a meal - you could describe it as a luncheon voucher.

They are still used today and are often given out at church services, to entitle the holder to the meal described at the approaching church festival. The festival for which this ticket is valid is what we would call Ember days.

German is a language that results in long words and abbreviations are common. Ev and Kath show the churches where they will be valid - Evangelist and Catholic, followed by the names of the saints Marcellinus, Eugen and Erasmus. Mittwoch means Wednesday.

Sonnenaufgang is shortened to S-A means sunrise, followed by the town - similarly S-U is sunset followed by time - there is also M-A moonrise and M-U moonset.

Cuxhaven and Hamburg are the towns and hochw and niedrw are abbreviations for high value or maximum and low value. I am not absolutely sure what the highest and lowest are - but my best guess is that they could be tides. The numbers correspond to times - V Vormittag Morning N Nachmittag after noon.

The second side is the Küchenzettel itself - showing the menu - white beer soup, fried Zander (a fish) and cauliflower.

The remainder of the text are three sayings or short poems of the kind you see all over Germany on pictures and on beer mugs. The text mixes up the use of an umlaut with a following e which is used if an umlaut is not available.

The 3 poets are Joseph Victor von Scheffel, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe and Friedrich Rüdert.
The gist of the three poems -

1 Everywhere, as far as the world reaches there are footpaths, and there are people who will wander on them.

2 Certain remain your sense, correct your taste. Your judgement straight.

3 Open your eyes with pleasure, if nothing bad befalls you;
If something bad happens, close them.

I hope this helps

David

Report this post

Post subject: Re: German Ticket from 1909
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:14 pm 

This is great, thanks so much!

Report this post