The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian

Discussion Forum for 'The Fylde and Wyre Antiquarian'
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:25 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian (in association with Wyre Archaeology).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gone and Forgotten
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 6:02 pm 

I think perhaps I ought to give the answer to photo no.4. It’s the only one I can reveal, because I don’t know where the others were taken. I am still hoping some will be recognised, but It very much depends on people with good knowledge of the localities depicted seeing them.

Here then is No.4 again, but with labels added. The most prominent building on it is the No.4 Hotel at the corner of Newton Drive and Layton Road, Blackpool. The meaning of the gobbledygook clue I gave should now become apparent.

Attachment:
Layton from Tower 1895.jpg
Layton from Tower 1895.jpg [ 207.7 KiB | Viewed 1521 times ]

The photograph was taken looking east from the Tower and the foreground of the full plate actually shows the Winter Gardens. In 1895, Great Layton was still a separate village.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:55 am 

re photo 6 it is definitely the old farm at the bottom of Pool foot lane! one of my regular walks with the dog. All the buildings are still there tho the barn on the left is a house now and the small lodge is all boarded up. Ive often wondered what it looked like in the past, and now i know! Many thanks..

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:09 pm 

Topgrafter,

I should be thanking you, which I do. It’s great to have one of these little mysteries solved. Although Google Street-view don’t appear to have gone down Pool Foot Lane at Singleton with their camera car, I can see enough of it on Mario to confirm that you are right. It’s some years since I went down there, but I must go along to take a “now” photo.

I can now see that the lodge is at the entrance to what was the drive to Bankfield House, which was destroyed by fire on 29th September 1963, according to a cutting I have about the sale of the Bankfield Estate in November 1965. Here is a photograph of the house before the fire.

Attachment:
Bankfield House, Pool Foot, Singleton.jpg
Bankfield House, Pool Foot, Singleton.jpg [ 348.05 KiB | Viewed 1504 times ]

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:37 pm 

Is no 4 Gynn Sq ?

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:16 pm 

I've already said where it is!

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:12 pm 

Here is photo number 7. It looks to be a very old one, possibly from the 1860s or ‘70s.

I think it will be quite difficult to identify as Methodist chapels tend to look very similar and there is the possibility that it was rebuilt at the end of the century.

Attachment:
No7, Unknown Chapel.jpg
No7, Unknown Chapel.jpg [ 253.45 KiB | Viewed 1477 times ]

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:41 pm 

There is a photo in the Bispham section of the Norbreck.net site of Bethel Chapel built in 1834. It was at the V of Redbank Road and Tiddycarr Lane. The photo is from a different angle but they do look similar so hope this helps.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:53 pm 

Lynne,
Thank you for the suggestion, but Bispham Bethel Chapel, which faced east on the site of the present roundabout, was a bit different. Here it is for comparison.

Attachment:
Bispham Bethel Chapel 1890s.jpg
Bispham Bethel Chapel 1890s.jpg [ 187 KiB | Viewed 1458 times ]

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:34 pm 

Here is number 8. I do know where it is, as I took it myself about 30 years ago.

It should be easier than the others -- and is quite topical!

Attachment:
No. 8 .jpg
No. 8 .jpg [ 180.24 KiB | Viewed 1443 times ]

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:31 am 

Is the last picture the old primary school on Preesall hill?

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:31 am 

Here is the answer to No 8 by way of another photo of the same hill taken on the same day.

Attachment:
Bourne Hill & Burn Hall c1982.jpg
Bourne Hill & Burn Hall c1982.jpg [ 332.35 KiB | Viewed 1423 times ]

The hill is where Wyre Archaeology has been digging in recent years and, of course, Burn Hall and the ICI works have now gone.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:01 pm 

A question for you, Ted. Where are the photographs taken from? Especially the last one. Also, do you have any more of the area showing more detail?

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:50 pm 

The sad thing is I remember very little about it. I don’t really know what I was doing there and I am just guessing at the date.

I think the pond on the last photo might have been where Pheasant Wood Drive curves round through about 180 degrees. I wonder if householders there know that they are on the site of a pond.

Below is the only other photo I took at the time. I appear to have taken it from a little further north and I wonder if the foreground is being prepared for Amounderness Way, which might date it more accurately. The positions could be worked out from Mario, etc.

I think at the time I was just trying to capture Burn Hall in its setting before it went. I don’t think these photos will help in any way with the excavation.

Attachment:
Burn Hall & Hill c1982.jpg
Burn Hall & Hill c1982.jpg [ 209.35 KiB | Viewed 1389 times ]

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:30 am 

Here is number 9, a photograph which has puzzled me for years. It was among some photos belonging to an old Bispham family, and all the others were from that area. However, I can’t think that it is in Bispham. To judge by the lady’s dress, it was taken in the 1880s.

Attachment:
No 9, Row of cottages.jpg
No 9, Row of cottages.jpg [ 225.23 KiB | Viewed 1376 times ]

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:42 pm 

Those Bay windows are unusual, but I would not begin to guess where it is. I liked those of Burn Hall Hill Farm and ICI etc. It does look like the beginning of Amounderness Way...I have fished that pond, way back in the 60s...now that you are "outed" Ted, I know who I'm dealing with (by reputation, at least), I liked your book on the Dane's Pad...we should exchange notes, one of these days...I've one or two projects languishing...

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next