The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian

Discussion Forum for 'The Fylde and Wyre Antiquarian'
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:49 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian (in association with Wyre Archaeology).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: illawalla
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 1:40 pm 

Apparently, this is a dolls memoir mirror from Illawalla (1910), it's for sale through the auction link in my last post...
too expensive for me though (over $350)!!!

Attachments:
mirror from Illawalla.jpg
mirror from Illawalla.jpg [ 9.42 KiB | Viewed 5133 times ]
Report this post

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:12 pm 
Site Admin

Obviously designed for a very rich doll...

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:42 pm 

Not recieved any comunication on offer of assistance

In meantime view 40's approx layout

Attachments:
File comment: Illawalla 40's Aerail Photo
illawalla 40's.jpg
illawalla 40's.jpg [ 32.13 KiB | Viewed 5103 times ]
Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:43 pm 

Hello

Sorry been a while off writing a dissertation on surveying and finishing Uni while working, Funn!

Any way I've started a google sketch up model from a floor plan that i hassled WBC planning department for a few months ago, i have that a a pdf if anyone in intersted i'll put it on soon as i work out how. Any way I had problems when i tried to put a roof on because of the my dodgy scaling from a scaned drawing but you get the idea of the floor.

I wrote to the guy who bought the site and flattened it a few months ago to be cheeky and ask if had any drawings but no reply, which to be honest I didn't expect one as he was quoted as to saying he didn't like the building in the gazzette just before it was pulled down.

As for Ken Russell's Valentino, the scene where he has the exhibition with the punch bag and his death scene I believe going off photo's where filmed in the sunken entrance hall (these scenes are not on youtube).

Also this evening i found some glass panels from the roof on a web site, hold on,

http://www.andythornton.com/en-UK/produ ... red-glass-

Blackpool gazette where helpfull and sent me some proof photos one even showing the film company vehicles out side. I'm planning a trip to the records office to see what I can find.

If any one wishes to collaborate give us a shout

Cheers

Neil

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:59 pm 

ok for starters i'll try sort out more views, It wont let me post the floor plan pdf but i can email it

Attachments:
ilawalla sketchview.jpg
ilawalla sketchview.jpg [ 191.37 KiB | Viewed 5046 times ]
Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:11 pm 

Sorry a bit big! its a work in progress and its what i've derived from a scanned floor plan and a few photocopied photos. I think I need to get some proper prints and try scale off brick sizes. What i have found is that there are loads of photos of the main front elevation but there are non of the east, west and rear elevations, i remember walking round the back just before it went but i was only about 12 so cant really remember what it looked like.

Just remembered something, I believe that the billiard room to the west (with the raised stage and pinicle bay windaow at the corner) and the bay window behind the tower were a later extension. There is a photo in a book i have of Illawalla from the west with those parts of the house missing. The photo in the book has been reversed so i thought it was a different building to the same plan at first but the out buildings can be seen in the background. I also think that the two storey section to the north west is also an extension (shown a the kitchen on the plan I have) when looking at the floor plan. they all seen to be in a slightly different architectural style particularly the billiard room.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:24 am 
Site Admin

Impressive! No wonder I used to get lost in there. After several pints I usually took a wrong turning on the way out of the loo and ended up in Skippool Creek.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:56 am 

If it helps, here is the architects' drawing of Illawalla as reproduced in a 1902 newspaper.

Attachment:
Illawalla elevation 1902.jpg
Illawalla elevation 1902.jpg [ 299.05 KiB | Viewed 5028 times ]

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:57 am 

The caption to the above illustration from the Blackpool Times, 21/6/1902, is as follows:

"The above is the design of the elevation of the new bungalow residence which is being built at Skippool, Poulton, for Mr. and Mrs. C. V. Haworth. The foundation stone was laid on Thursday week by Miss Vesta Tilley. The plan shows a large entrance hall on the south side opening on to a dining saloon 56ft. by 35ft. (including corridor) from which access is gained to the reception rooms, bedrooms, billiard room, etc., and also to a tower 56ft. high. A special feature of the drawing room will be a large inglenook. The coachman's cottage, stables, loose boxes, dynamo and accumulator house, etc., are all arranged on the north side. The building will present a very pleasing and picturesque appearance, as the exterior walls are to be faced with Huncoat plastic bricks, with Yorkshire stone dressings, and the roofs are to be covered with red tiles. The premises will be lighted throughout with the electric light, and will be heated with hot water by means of radiators. The architects are Messrs. Fairbrother and Hall, of Bank Chambers, Poulton.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:26 pm 

These postings are all very interesting, thanks guys. A great illustration & article from the newspaper, maybe I can finally say I have a picture of my Gt. Grandaddy tending the gardens at Illawalla!! Ha Ha!!! I'm told the original gardeners cottage was in the grounds just behind the back of the bungalow, can anyone confirm this?? Going by your floor plan Neil, which section do you say was the kitchen?? You've done a great job. I'll definately be interested in anything else you do.
If anyone gets a hold of the Valentino movie (just pick one up off ebay), it's great for viewing the internal scenes of the sunken lounge, really worthwhile just to see inside the Illawalla the way it would have been in it's earlier days.
Please keep up your input, I'm loving it!!!!
re Karen

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:02 pm 

Thanks Fyldecoaster, from this picture shows the billiard room was always there and from this and the picture i have the bay must have been a later extension. The picture I have shows the gardens in all their glory, the caption like other popular local history books say it was the home of Vesta Tilley, but I'll agree with Fyldecoaster that she was only ever a guest.

I asked the gazzette and they said they will put a thing in the memory lane bit asking for photo's and stuff so that may help identify a few things so i could ask if anyone knew where the gardeners cottage is.

Also I found a pile of OS at work an one from 1978 shows a trig point on the tower, just a bit of useless information for you.

Cheers

Neil

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:36 am 

Here is Illawalla nearing completion.

Attachment:
Illawalla  & workmen c1903.jpg
Illawalla & workmen c1903.jpg [ 270.83 KiB | Viewed 4937 times ]

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:53 pm 

Fantastic! that was in the Fleetwood weekly a couple of years ago and was about to email them to try get a copy.

Cheers!

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:55 pm 

I picture I found and an OS map showing a trig point on Illawalla

Attachments:
Illawalla 1978 OS.jpg
Illawalla 1978 OS.jpg [ 172.08 KiB | Viewed 4903 times ]
Early Illawalla.jpg
Early Illawalla.jpg [ 99.62 KiB | Viewed 4901 times ]
Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:59 pm 

Neil,
Here is what appears to be the same photo. It was copied onto a 35mm slide from an old lantern slide, one of several of Thornton I had borrowed from Thornton Church about 20 years ago.

Attachment:
Illawalla from lantern slide.jpg
Illawalla from lantern slide.jpg [ 241.69 KiB | Viewed 4879 times ]

One record of Illawalla that does not seem to have survived is a film taken of the foundation stone laying in 1902. Local newspapers of the day reported that Mitchell & Kenyon of Blackburn filmed the ceremony. Unfortunately, it does not appear on a list of the surviving M&K films.
However, one film listed is “C. V. Haworth’s stud farm, Poulton,” taken in 1901. I have seen this footage, which shows horses trotting round a field.
The film does, however, include a pan past a house and the top of a drive. I expected this to be Thornton Lodge, where Haworth is shown to be in late 19th century directories. Surprisingly, the house, although laterally inverted (left on right) is recognisable as the Towers at Cleveleys!

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next