The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian

Discussion Forum for 'The Fylde and Wyre Antiquarian'
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:55 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian (in association with Wyre Archaeology).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: illawalla
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:56 pm 

Here are a couple of photos I took while wandering around the back of Illawalla not long before it was pulled down. I don't know if the little cottage was part of Illawalla, but both photos were taken from a lovely little back lane looking toward Illawala. I had wondered at the time, whether the cottage may have been the gardeners cottage, does anybody recognize it???
You'll notice I was videoing the whole area, so somewhere in my stach of old VCR's I have a full viewing of the back of Illawalla (and the front of course!)!!!

Attachments:
Illawalla, anoymous house out back.jpg
Illawalla, anoymous house out back.jpg [ 813.84 KiB | Viewed 3659 times ]
Illawalla at back.jpg
Illawalla at back.jpg [ 813.97 KiB | Viewed 3653 times ]
Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:07 pm 
Site Admin

The house looks familiar...it's not the River House is it?

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:18 pm 

The first photo is of Thornton Hall

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:47 pm 
Site Admin

Ah...thanks Wyldefyre...I thought I'd seen it somewhere before.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:42 am 

wyrearchaeology wrote:
Ah...thanks Wyldefyre...I thought I'd seen it somewhere before.

You're welcome. To get back to Illawalla, there's an obscure local connection with the subject of the film shot there. The vicar of Poulton le Fylde, Rev John Hull, was from a local family. He and his brother William Winstanley Hull were pillars of the Victorian establishment, WW being a lifelong friend and correspondent of Thomas Arnold and Sir John Coleridge. WW had a son whose wife Edith became a writer, producing six novels. Two were world bestsellers in the 1920's, the first being a risque story of a woman who is abducted and seduced in the desert. I don't know what the Rev and his brother would have made of that had they lived long enough, but it was called The Sheikh, and was made into a Hollywood film, carving out a substantial career for an unknown actor with the ridiculous name of Rudolf Valentino. Not many people know that.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:33 am 

Yes, thanks Wyldefyre, I had a look on Google Earth and can see that it was in fact "Thornton Hall" (you get quite a clear shot from the air showing it's facade). I now remember panning the camera and photographing anything of interest (the daffodils were beautiful!!). However, I just love reading everybodies input, it's fascinating for me to hear the local goss on my mums home territory. (She's a Poulton girl and I am Ozzie born... I am unfortunately a looong way from the Fylde)

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:51 pm 

Just found this on ebay, like the dolls mirror its a Silver gift tray again in austrailia, a lot of these souvenir things seem to turn up down there.

Attachments:
IMG_3424.JPG
IMG_3424.JPG [ 67.19 KiB | Viewed 3577 times ]
Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:10 pm 
Site Admin

It's intriguing how the Australian connection keeps cropping up...

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:29 pm 

The chances are that the item relates to the Illawalla locality in Australia and has nothing to do with Thornton.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:48 pm 

Thats what I thought at first but on the ebay listing there was a picture of Illawalla and this paragraph about the dish.

'Anyway this little dish or tray would date to the original owner and builder CV Howarth. It has a repousse border of bells and bows; the middle has the legend “Christmas Greetings Illawalla 1906.” I imagine it could have been given as a small gift to those who stayed at the house in the Christmas Season, or perhaps it was given to staff or locals? It is nicely hallmarked for Birmingham 1906 maker LE – Lawrence Emanuel. Measures 12 cms x 9 cms; lightweight, weighing just 26 gms. Would make a nice gift for someone from the area, or someone who remembers the venue in its night club heyday'

I emailed the people selling the mirror (which is down under too) and they bought it from over here thinking the name had a Australian link, they think it may be a translation of name of the village of Illawarra another name which also keeps cropping up.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:15 pm 

Interesting one here, one of the architectural salvagers who took a few of the items sent me this. Its part of the roof light from above the sunken floor. The second picture is what I believe to be one of the individual Vaulted roof lights (according to the plan I have 1 of 4) from above the raised area around the sunken floor. I think its one of these because of the size and you can see it above Rudolf Nureyev in a low angle shot in 'Valentino' (yeah I'm getting pretty sad now!).

The salvagers told me; "At the time of salvaging the interior at Illawalla the property had suffered from a terrific amount of water damage with much of the roof structure inaccessible and deemed unsafe for salvage of many of the fired glass ceiling panels". So they only have 23 of the pieces, I can only speculate that all the others were smashed during demolition, real shame.

Attachments:
roofglasssmall.jpg
roofglasssmall.jpg [ 386.03 KiB | Viewed 3517 times ]
File comment: Vaulted roof light
rlsmall.jpg
rlsmall.jpg [ 140.27 KiB | Viewed 3518 times ]
Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:20 pm 

Ok one last Post for tonight for any one interested, This is the floor plan I acquired. I having problems with scaling, Does and one have any photo graphs (pref high quality) of the white stones (york stone I believe) at the corners of the building that is clear enough to count the brick next to them? Tall order I think but it would be a great help.

Cheers

OP

Attachments:
Floor Plan.jpg
Floor Plan.jpg [ 419.41 KiB | Viewed 3515 times ]
Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:22 am 
Site Admin

I'm surprised nobody's written a book about the Illawalla yet. According to the site stats, it's certainly the most popular 'topic' on the search engines. (Well...at this site it is, anyway.) If I can just get the other thirty-two books I'm in the middle of writing out of the way, then I might have a bash myself...

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:56 pm 

Just spoken to some one who lived above the kitchens when Sir Fred owned the Illwalla and was telling me all sorts of interesting things like the glass house next to the garage (was the stables) was full of tropical fish, I'll write them down properly when i get chance.

Brian, how do you go about writing booklet things about local history assuming you have the information and its correct?

Cheers

OP

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:56 pm 

Just spoken to some one who lived above the kitchens when Sir Fred owned the Illawalla and was telling me all sorts of interesting things like the glass house next to the garage (was the stables) was full of tropical fish, I'll write them down properly when i get chance.

Brian, how do you go about writing booklet things about local history assuming you have the information and its correct?

Cheers

OP

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next