The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian

Discussion Forum for 'The Fylde and Wyre Antiquarian'
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:49 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian (in association with Wyre Archaeology).

Post subject: Lord Street, Fleetwood
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:37 pm 

Well it's not gone but this was taken in the busy years. I don't know when it was taken but at a guess it's the early 60's.

Martyn

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:29 pm 
Site Admin

This one's confusing me Martyn. I take it this is the corner of Lord Street and Poulton Road? The trouble is, I could have sworn that, up until recently when Pound Stretcher was built, there was some weird 1930's building standing opposite this particular junction that resembled a parachute packing shed. It was a community hall, if memory serves, with rounded roofs. Only there's nothing there in this photo, just a partially demolished wall.

I must have consumed too much Christmas spirit or something...

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:31 pm 

Originally there was a school on the site, Testimonial ?, and that was replaced by the building that you mention. That was the Church army Youth Club of which I was once a member in the early 70's. My Dad played football for them in the 50's but it was the original building then.

Does that help ?

Martyn

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:42 pm 
Site Admin

Martyn,

I take it the Church Army Youth Club wasn't actually built until the late sixties/early seventies then? I'd always assumed from its style that it was pre-war...possibly forties.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:09 am 

I have no idea but I'd guess at late 60's.

Could be worth looking up, I suppose.

Martyn

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:22 pm 
Site Admin

Might do that some time. If there's anybody out there reading this, with a photograph of the aforementioned building (which has also now long since gone), it'd be much appreciated if you could post it here for us, of course.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:38 pm 

Some little info that may or may not be of use.

A new beginning for Fleetwood

From the Lancashire Evening Telegraph, first published Friday 14th Jan 2000.

A NEW retail development which is set to transform Fleetwood town centre was launched this week.

The Mayor of Wyre, Coun Harry Taylor (pictured with L-R Mark Dransfield, Mayoress Francis Taylor and Coun Pat Callow), officially kicked off the first phase of the development on the site of the former Church Army building on Lord Street.

The 13,000 sq foot development by Dransfield Properties plc will combine retail stores with office and leisure facilities.

Work on clearing the site begins on Monday and it is expected to take six months to complete this phase of the development with shops open for trading by July.

The ground floor will include a Poundstretcher and a Your More store and the first floor is to be let for office and leisure use, while the second phase involving a Morrisons food store is expected to be given the go-ahead soon.

Speaking at the launch Mark Dransfield, managing director of Dransfield Properties, said: "I am sure the development will be a success and it will be a major boost for Fleetwood.

"We have already fully let the ground floor and are confident we will have clients to fill the first floor within the next few months. "If everything goes to plan, by the end of 2001 Fleetwood town centre could be completely transformed.

"Every town needs an anchor to attract shoppers and that is usually a food store. The second phase of our development which includes the Morrisons store will provide this."

"If this store performs as well as our other stores have done it will be a great success." The project won the praise of Mayor Harry Taylor who said: "This development marks another major step in the rejuvenation of Fleetwood town centre.

"I was delighted and honoured to be invited to dig the first turf. "I would like to pay tribute to all the officers who have worked so hard on this and to the councillors who have supported this project from day one."

Converted for the new archive on 14 July 2000. Some images and formatting may have been lost in the conversion.

Martyn

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:13 pm 
Site Admin

"...while the second phase involving a Morrisons food store is expected to be given the go-ahead soon."

Another anchor with no chain attached courtesy of the brilliant, but predictable, town planning committee.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:01 pm 

Church Army Youth Club

There's a blast from the past. It was definatly there in 1970, as I used to go there for the 64 club, which was an attempt to replicate the 59 club, a motorcycle club in London set up by a vicar.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:23 pm 

I think I can remember the patch. a number 64 in green on a white background. Or t'other way round. It was a long while ago and before my time.

Martyn

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:06 am 
Site Admin

Okay...sorry chaps. I've hunted every where for a photograph of the building itself and the aforementioned 64 Club patch/emblem...can't find either. I've checked our postcard collection (wrong end of Lord Street), the internet and every book of old photographs we've got...but, so far, nothing. I haven't given up yet though. I'll put up out a general distress call across the local antiquarian network and see what happens...

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:00 pm 

Right second time Martyn, white numbers on green. I had a lapel pin but Iv'e not seen it for years.

Report this post

Post subject: Church Army Hall
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:01 pm 
Hi - me again. This is from my book:

"1846 - The Fleetwood Testimonial School for Boys and Girls was opened on West Street – now called Lord Street. The building was converted into a Youth Centre in 1964."

Could this be why the badges showed the number 64???

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Lord Street, Fleetwood
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:38 pm 

The Church Army Youth Club was opened in 1964 by money raised by the people of Fleetwood , I remember my Mother making thing to raffle for it. It was between Hernshaws Furniture shop and the Hernshaws Carpet shop which in turn was next to the Black & White Coffe shop.On the other side next to Hershaws shop was The Old Baccy Shop which is now Bargin Booze.The painting is still visable on the wall over the shop. On the other side of the road was The Regent Cinema. I have some photos of a band called Tribsa playing on the roof of the Youth Club in 1977 when the carnival was on. I will upload them when I find them. Next to Deaden pub was Whiteheads Record shop which shut down in the late 70's.
Hope this helps.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Lord Street, Fleetwood
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:22 pm 

Quote:
I have some photos of a band called Tribsa

Tribsa eh!, must've been 'bikers. Triumph engine in a BSA frame, second only to a Triton. (work it out)

Report this post