The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian

Discussion Forum for 'The Fylde and Wyre Antiquarian'
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:49 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian (in association with Wyre Archaeology).

Post subject: Norcross Hill Farm
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:50 pm 
Site Admin

Got some auction deeds for this place on my hard drive somewhere dating back to the 1920s. (That's the deeds that date back to the 1920s...not my hard drive...although that's not far removed.) I'll turn them into a posting over at the main site sooner or later. These were the shippons, by the way:

This one's a sad loss for Thornton, in my opinion. Must have been quite a regal building in its heyday. I seem to recall a sign outside in my youth that read: "Horse Manure -- £1.00 a bag. Do it yourself -- 50 pence." (Seriously...that's why it stuck in my mind.)

That building above ended up as a refuge for battered wives...I think. Michelle took these some years ago. Not sure if the farm's still there, albeit as a shell...or whether it's gone completely now.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:21 pm 

I Have been looking at this building for years, It is my dream to own it and restore it to its former glorry. ( If I win the Loittery) its a shame to see such a great house going to waste. But thats wyre council for you, they dont care.. :x

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:16 pm 
Site Admin

Hello John, and welcome to the forum.

(I'm going to have to call you John II or something, I reckon, 'cos we've already got a John here and it might get confusing.)

I totally agree with you about Norcross Hill Farm...it's a crying shame to see it falling into ruin. It'll go the same way that the Cleveleys Inn went, no doubt, left for the vandals (there's an incredibly annoying video on You Tube somewhere of some kids breaking into the place and, basically, smashing it up...I really wish the police round here would watch You Tube more often and catch these jerks...actually I just wish we had some police round here...where was I? Oh yes...) and when it's beyond repair, pulled down and turned into a row of shops or some other 'quick-buck' investment scheme.

I must post that Norcross Hill Farm Auction Catalogue article at some point over the next few weeks (now that you've reminded me about it). Unfortunately I keep forgetting.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:22 pm 

Hi Brian, yeh I have seen the video on YT. Grrrr i could scream.. hahhaa. I got some nice aireal shots of the house from Live Maps on MSN..
BTW. I am the john that fixes pic for Phil :D

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:44 pm 

Hi Brian

I just found this on the net, Wonder if its been Sold ?

Norcross House, Norcross Lane Thornton Cleveleys Lancashire
The contract includes a 'Clawback Provision' should planning permission for any development beyond a single dwelling be obtained and/or any rights be granted over the site within 20 years of completion of the sale. Further details are available in the legal documentation or via our website - www.pugh-company.co.uk. The Planning section should read “The property benefits from a planning consent for change of use from a hostel to a single residential dwelling. The contractual completion date will be 7th February 2008. The plan in the catalogue has been amended and the correct plan is available from the Auctioneer’s Office or via our website - www.pugh-company.co.uk.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:14 am 
Site Admin

Ah, you're that John.

I'm a big admirer of your work. You've fixed some of Phil's photos up a reet treat. (I'll tell you what, he's got some cracking bits and pieces in his collection, hasn't he? All those historical deeds and documents...fascinating stuff.)

I clicked on the link to pugh-company.co.uk for the further details, but the website doesn't seem to be available. I wonder how much the house is going for? And what's going to happen to the rest of the farm?

I will put that auction catalogue thing up for Norcross Farm at the main website over the next couple of weeks...I'll make a note of it somewhere in indelible ink on my monitor screen so that I don't forget.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:05 pm 

Hi Brian

I got a lot of stuff from pugh-company. the House was valued before the sale at, Under £100.000.
And at the time of sale it was valued between £275,000 and £325,000. David Walker is the person that contacted wyre council about the sale is the buyer for the firm i work for Baxter homes. !

How can i email you the files Re the house ? they are in PDF format.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:22 pm 
Site Admin

John,

If you go up to the 'Members List' at the top of the forum somewhere, and click on the profile bit for 'wyrearchaeology' you should be able to find my e-mail address. I keep it tucked away from as many prying eyes as possible because I hate getting innundated with spam.

You should be able to attach a PDF file to any e-mail you send...although the way my computer's behaving at the moment (the pilot light keeps going out in the draught from the window frame) I might not actually be able to read it.

Less than £100,000 would have been a bargain. It's a huge house inside. (I went in it once when it was still being used as a hostel. Just for a visit, you understand...I was never classified as a battered wife by Wyre Borough Council or anything.) But I suspect it's now in a state of disrepair. £350,000 would probably be about right. It's got quite extensive gardens too...and a rich smelling midden of cow and horse manure at the end of the road, which probably won't help bump the price up...especially if they leave the sale until summer.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:35 am 

Brian

I posted this message lastnight but it would not show as a new post! anyway here it is again.

Have you been near Norcross lately, it looks like its going to be a vet surgery, :( . There goes my chance of buying it !!! ohhh bugger.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:50 am 
Site Admin

John,

I suspect they need a vets there to cope with the increasing outbreaks of Mad Cow Disease in the government buildings next door.

At least they aren't tearing the place down to make way for a supermarket or a skateboard park or something.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:02 am 

Quote:
That building above ended up as a refuge for battered wives

I can confirm that courtesy of a rather strange conversation I had with a "tennant" when I was out for a bike ride with some friends - I was 19-20 yrs old at the time - that would put the year about 1997.

I agree it's a lovely house and I've often thought how nice it would be to buy and restore - I drive past it every day on the way to/from work.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:20 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I was 19-20 yrs old at the time - that would put the year about 1997.

You're giving your age away now, Amigafan.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:21 pm 

I was reading some info about Norsross House the other day, and found out why nothing has been done with it yet. The limitations on the site run out in Feb 2010 so the house can be demolished and the new Vet building put in its place. !!! :(

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:27 pm 
Site Admin

John,

That figures.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Norcross Hill Farm
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:39 pm 

Just an update on the above. I was at the vets in poulton (the ones who own the site)the other day and asked what was happening regards the old site and was told they did initially want to save and refurbish the main house but due to excessive vandal damage making the building unsafe they had had to have new plans drawn up for a new development. and were refusing to demolish the old building until they knew wether the new plans had been approved. from the horses mouth! but not sure how true it is?

Report this post