The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian

Discussion Forum for 'The Fylde and Wyre Antiquarian'
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:03 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian (in association with Wyre Archaeology).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:03 pm 

wyrearchaeology wrote:
That makes sense, except there's no Hesketh Avenue or Highlands pub in the background? Unless it was taken before they were built, of course.

Well, there wouldn't be because to look over the bowling green and see the gable end of the Cons Club, you would be facing roughly east. So the prom and the aforesaid avenue and hostelry would be sort of behind you.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:08 pm 

Ah, just seen your post at the bottom of the last page, Brian. Delete the one above if you like. :-)

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Olde Windmillian Photos...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:18 am 

I know this is an old topic, but my interest in Great Marton mill grew when I recently found out that Aldi have purchased the Oxford Hotel site and want to put a supermarket there.
Anyway this relates to the picture of mill cottage, which the previous post suggests is not related to Great Marton Mill. Well, the other day I was in the Marton Institue (across the road from the Oxford) and on the walls there are several pictures of old Oxford Square, one of them is the picture of Mill cottage, BUT it is a little bigger than the one printed here and on the right hand side it clearly has a sign for the Oxford Hotel. The mill stood on what is now the forecourt of Micky's Carpets, previously Oxford Motors then to become the commercial vehicle part of Thomas Motors. The site of the mill barns and mill hotel was bought in 1876, and the current Oxford Hotel and Pleasure Gardens built, but the mill and cottage remained, as can be seen in the 1880 picture. The mill was derelict and demolished in December 1900, and the Marton Tram line opened 1901. So, the mill is not in the picture either because it was demolished or too derelict to photograph, but the tram wire post is, so circa 1900 is reasonable.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:01 am 

They did seem to be all at sea with that photo of Mill Cottage back in 2009. “Bignick47” indentified it as Mill Cottage at Great Marton near the Oxford, but was then persuaded otherwise. Although I wasn’t posting to the forum then, I emailed him and suggested he should stick to his guns, which he then did. Then the thread moved on to other areas.
I am pretty sure that the photo was taken well after the windmill was demolished. The cottage itself lasted until March 1928. According to my notes, from information supplied by the late Alan Stott, it had been associated with Thomas Moore, who had built the first houses at South Shore in 1819. Richard Moore, a joiner, was there in 1840 and he allowed the Wesleyans to hold prayer meetings in it.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:36 am 

I did not know mill cottage was there that long. Did you know the site of the Oxford Hotel and area behind it is to become an Aldi Store.

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6