The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian

Discussion Forum for 'The Fylde and Wyre Antiquarian'
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:49 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian (in association with Wyre Archaeology).

Post subject: Olde Windmillian Photos...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:10 pm 
Site Admin

These are more for Shirley than anybody else, of course, although I'm sure that anybody interested in old photographs of our local windmills (which would just about be most people reading this, I reckon) will find them interesting. Cheers to Phil at http://www.rossallbeach.co.uk for sending us these:

Hold on...there's another:

Incidentally, did anybody know that there was a windmill belonging to Mains Hall (on Mains Lanes in fact) in 1682? Frank (Wyre Archaeology Pilot and Head of Aerial Photographic Dept) has lent us a fascinating map which I'm in the process of tidying up a bit before writing a blog about it...and it quite clearly shows a windmill somewhere very close to Skippool Bridge.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:19 pm 
Site Admin

Anybody fancy some more of these? Good, 'cos Phil's in a generous mood tonight (actually Phil's always in a generous mood 'cos he's that sort of bloke), so here's a few extras...

And another? Certainly...coming right up:

And one last one for the road:

And don't forget to visit Phil's site http://www.rossallbeach.co.uk for plenty more where this lot came from! Cheers Phil.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:05 pm 

Just out of interest, does anyone know if there was ever an actual mill near where Stalmine County Primary School stands today (and has for over 50 years that I know of)? I ask because the section of the A588 at that point is called Mill Lane and on an 1851 map, a nearby building is identified as Mill House. I and the other kids from the village used to play in the adjacent fields, but I don't remember any ruins or earthworks and it's all houses now.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:21 pm 

Cheers theses are brilliant :D have something for you windmillian folks out there to post up. Hope you can help with this :? Shirley

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:49 pm 
Site Admin

Okay...another enquiry...this one from Shirley. (Lots of mill-related questions going on here at the moment, it seems.)

Quote:
"Can anyone help? This is the original millers cottage for Little Marton Mill in Whalley's day. It is somewhere in South Shore, Blackpool. She walked to the mill and back each day. Shirley"

I'm guessing it's somewhere near a set of tramlines and a bowling green.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:03 pm 

Thank you Phil your web site is great will add link to mine and thanks again from me windmill lady
Mill open in May for weekend all of you on site welcome will keep you up to date Yes Stalmine had a mill !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I will dig out ref for you :)

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:18 pm 
I think you'll find that the "Mill Cottage circa 1900" is the old miller's cottage for Great Marton Windmill, which was at the Oxford. The Bowling Green sign was painted on the side of the Oxford Hotel for many years. The actual mill was next door and to the West of the pub until it was pulled down in 1902 to make way for the Waterloo Road tram tracks. The miller's cottage lasted a few more years - Budget Rent A Car is now on the site.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:05 pm 
Site Admin

Cheers for that Nick. We'll have a map up for that, I reckon -- First Edition OS with modern street names superimposed:

And, whilst we're about it, we'll have this one up for Chris as well:

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:44 pm 

Hurrah my book on my grandfather's childhood has been accepted by the publishers I am over the moon! Out later this year he was a little monkey in Muletown. Shirley Thanks guys for all the posts Shirl in a whirl

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:59 pm 
Site Admin

Shirley,

Congats and all that! I hope me and Michelle are going to get a signed copy!

Incidentally, going off at a slight tangent, we have in our possession a map given to us by Frank (Wyre Archaeology Aerial Reconaiscance Department) that's one of the best maps I've ever seen. It dates from 1682 and, as soon as I've finished cleaning it up and sorting it out, I'll be writing a blog...possibly two...all about it. One of the interesting features on it is a windmill located on Mains Road, somewhere near Skippool Bridge (probably right underneath where the garage stands on Mains Lane today knowing our luck). Just wondering if you'd ever heard of that one. It's labelled as Mains Windmill.

Regardless of that, it's great news about your book. You can become a member of the Fylde and Wyre Authors' Association now, which, in the tradition of the great Allen Clarke himself, I'm thinking of founding as of this moment...if there isn't already a Fylde and Wyre Authors' Association out there, that is.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:40 am 

Yes a signed copy will be yours (got to go through the procedures first but should according to the publisher be out this year and no vanity press) :D
Yes there was a windmill in Skipool a tidal mill which would make sense. However there were lots of mills water, tidal, post, peg windmill at that time so will be great to find out.
Is the mill near the water and would the garage be fields then? Would love to see that map sounds brilliant.
Yes Brian and Michell why not have a Wyre & Fylde Author's Association as I have never heard of one in these 'ere parts, great stuff. Plus there are some good authors around our Amounderness.
Bye 'eck Brian will thy be taking on a double barrelled name and will thou be donning a thespian's cape and scribes hat? :roll:
at the AGM

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:46 am 
Site Admin

Shirley,

It was definitely a windmill because there's a little drawing of it on the map with the words 'Mains Wdmll' next to it. It seems to have stood (because the map's not completely accurate we can only assume it's on Mains Lane) either next to or somewhere in the vicinity of the Skippon Flu (now Main ****)...possibly as far up the lane as the tumbledown barn. And yes, back in those days it would have been all fields with 'scarce a shrub betwixt Cokerham and Lancaster' (as it says on the map at one point).

Quote:
"...will thou be donning a thespian's cape and scribes hat?"

Only if I can find a thesbian and a scribe, and then pilfer said items off them. Otherwise it'll be my usual archaeology gear, I'm afraid.

Report this post

Post subject: not same site Bignik
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:10 am 

Sorry Big Nic but that is not the millers cotage at Great Marton Mill. The mill was demolished in 1900 and only the hotel was left. Previous to that there were outbuilding as a barn but this is on a different site altogether note circa 1900 and look at the picture of demolished mill 1900 no cottage. So the mystery continues (and it wasn't Great Marton but South Shore for defo.) Shirley [/b]

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:42 pm 
Site Admin

Shirley,

That definitely looks like a post for holding up tram cables to me...so that should narrow the location down a bit I reckon. (Still haven't got a clue where it is...but there does seem to be an indoor bowling green right behind it.)

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:51 am 
Hands up from me - It's clearly not Great Marton. The road with the tram line post is obviously running at right-angles to the Bowling Green sign. I strongly suspect it's not in Blackpool at all. It doesn't fit any site that I know.

Report this post