The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian

Discussion Forum for 'The Fylde and Wyre Antiquarian'
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:07 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian (in association with Wyre Archaeology).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Correction
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:38 pm 

I do have a photo from the last wreck trek, though its unscanned. The posts are about 1.8-2 metres high - judging by the man stood near them. I no longer have a scanner, so I will have to scan down the library sometime this week

Nonetheless, you might want to look at this webpage

http://collections.lancsmuseums.gov.uk/ ... hp?irn=259

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:31 am 
Site Admin

FW

Quote:
That's a bit of a sore point with me since I've had to defend the (top) photo of the Lower Lighthouse - www.enation.co.uk/fleetwoodlighthouses.htm - three times; twice against individuals...

Not me...I can instantly recognise all of my photographs because my thumb's invariably in the bottom corner.

Quote:
If you want to have a guess at my identity, send me a PM.

You're not Syd Little are you?

Quote:
I would argue that these are foundations for the Rossall Point Light

The remains of Rossall Point Light are still visible as you round Rossall Point. That is, the remains of one of the versions of Rossall Point Light are still visible as you round Rossall Point. I know that an earlier version stood on the beach close by the boating lake (all traces now gone) and I seem to recall that this itself was a rebuild of an even earlier model. (I think. I could be wrong about that.)

Not sure where the very original Rossall Point Light stood, so you could well be right.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:55 pm 

FW, Thanks for the info and that link with the photos, and well spotted that feature on Yates map, but, if thats the structure on the photos it's a long way off the tip of king scar, so I'm doubting that explanation now. Also, the distance between the two piles seems to be greater than the diameter of the Rossall point light in the photo.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:23 pm 

I don't know if these help but I've got some poor quality pics of the 1845/7 OS map. I focused more on the land. I've added a link as the pics need to be very large to see them clearly.

http://contactthornton.web.officelive.c ... forum.aspx

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:19 am 
Site Admin

Cheers for them Melanie. (Although, I'm still none the wiser.)

Report this post

Post subject: King Scar and the posts
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:10 pm 

frankjsmith wrote:
FW, Thanks for the info and that link with the photos, and well spotted that feature on Yates map, but, if thats the structure on the photos it's a long way off the tip of king scar, so I'm doubting that explanation now. Also, the distance between the two piles seems to be greater than the diameter of the Rossall point light in the photo.

I do admit that the photos in Rothwell's books look a lot nearer to the beach that these near King Scar, but it does report that they were rebuilt several times. So they may have been rebuilt further out.

Also those mounds look roughly symmetrical and they are not that far apart when on the ground.

Hmmmm, ....

The "foundations" if they are that are piles of stones (at least on the top), and at least in my estimate more that 20 feet in circumference, which Rothwell claims was the cirumference of the light. I would argue that these are foundations since if you look at each pile the posts are roughly in the centre of each - the posts on the left are not as high, but on the right they are clearly posts.

Hmmm....

Anyone fancy a walk out there sometime - tides and weather permitting? I can supply the camera

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:13 pm 
Site Admin

FW,

Bit busy with a certain archaeological site at the moment. (Besides, I'd need to stock up on a lot of Ready Brek to tackle a walk like that.) Somebody else I know was suggesting a jaunt out there themselves some time back. Can't remember who it was now. If I remember I'll give 'em a bell and let you know.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:28 am 

Would love to amble out to have a good stickybeak at them but might be a long-ish walk from here.
Whatever they were the foundations of stones were substantial enough to withstand the elements for quite some time so I'd imagine the circumference would have been larger?
Is there a channel of some kind in between the two mounds or could there have been one that is now silted up?

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Portus Setantiorum
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:33 pm 

I have just found this article on the Fleetwood Grammar School website, fgsonline, which describes an expedition onto north wharf in the sixties, made by two teenagers from the school. The position and description of the wreck, being in two mounds and surrounded by blocks of concrete, makes me think it's the subject in the photos here. Another thing is the mound of stones they describe, which sounds very similar to the pebble bar in the photo on the Sandbanks topic.
Many thanks to Terry at fgsonline for permission to reproduce the article. I would recommend a look at the website. there are some excellent photos of locally found Roman coins and a good article on the Romans by Terry.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:28 pm 
Site Admin

Frank,

It does remarkably similar, albeit with fifty years tidal activity scouring away the majority of the original scene.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:18 am 

I realise this is not particularly relevant, but when I read it I made a connection with Over Wyre, so here it is. I've just finished reading a Biography of Julius Caesar which suggested that one of the many reasons he was interested in Britain was as a source of freshwater pearls, which apparently he was very into. When I read that I immediately thought of the large freshwater mussels we used to find in ponds in the Preesall/ Knott End area, not a million miles from the findspot of the Hackensall Hoard. Was there a connection with Freshwater pearling in the area and Roman interest (monetary) in them?

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:34 am 

Sorry for dredging up an old thread (my first post too!) but with this year's Wyre Light walk coming up I remembered seeing these pillars back in 2008, and was really curious about what they were.

I couldn't find any mention of them at the time, so it's been interesting to read through this thread... especially with the aerial shots.

Anyway, here's a couple of close-ups from the 2008 walk:

If anyone wants a closer look, they can be viewed full-size (4000+ pixels) on Flickr here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/aportraitd ... otostream/
and
http://www.flickr.com/photos/aportraitd ... otostream/

Really glad I found this thread - not knowing anything about these has been annoying me for 2 years now! It's a real shame the Wreck Walk doesn't head over to King Scar anymore - I was looking forward to taking another look.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:48 am 
Site Admin

Pete,

Excellent. Stunning photos. Extremely dramatic and artistic (which isn't something you find very often on this board). Cheers muchly for them.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:02 am 

Quote:
do you have a lat/long for them

Steve,
No grid position I'm afraid but spotted them again at September's lowest tide. The're the ones below the spit on the lower right of the photo.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:57 pm 

Quote:
Last Tuesday we came across this outcrop on the northern edge of North Wharf by King Scar, just uncovered by the lowest tide. Am I just seeing what I want to see, or do they realy look too regular in size and shape to be rocks :? :?

Earlier this year I was flying over the sandbanks with Gordon Heald, who, when I pointed out the pile of rocks said, "That's the wreck of a cement barge". I wasn't convinced, but on my latest flight we got this photo, which clearly shows some structure. Mystery solved!

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next