The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian

Discussion Forum for 'The Fylde and Wyre Antiquarian'
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:00 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian (in association with Wyre Archaeology).

Post subject: Odd Fleetwood photos
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:27 pm 

The OAP driver of this car managed to park between the blue car on the road and the house wall. It went in easy enough but needed a crane to get it out:

and this secret bunker is under ASDA carpark:

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:01 pm 
Site Admin

It's not often you get off-street parking in Fleetwood. I'm just guessing (based on the somewhat garrish house fronts, because the people down that end of town have very unqiue taste) but is that Mount Street?

And that 'secet bunker' in ASDA carpark -- where they poured the concrete into the underground abatoir to seal it up, perhaps?

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:27 am 

It's Walmsley Street. The driver had parked in a 'disabled' space at the Lord St end but on reversing out - presumably backing into the ginnel - must've hit the gas too hard and bounced into the gap betwixt parked car and house. The parked car I think was undamaged but the house had a large crack in the brickwork round the window.

My office overlooked the site but I don't recall any concrete pouring just loads of hardcore.ASDA car park before the old JobCentre was added to the rubble:

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:53 am 
Site Admin

Dave,

So that was the view from your office? I'm just trying to work out which premises your office was above then...surely not the fishmongers on the corner of the alley? That would have been a bit ripe in the summer...

The 'underground' abatoir beneath what is nowadays ASDA carpark is a bit of an old legend round Fleetwood. There's definitely an abatoir on the old maps...underneath roughly where the Job Centre stands in your photograph. Whether it was underground or not is another kettle of fish. The legend goes that a tunnel ran all the way from the cattle market so that the movement of the cows wouldn't upset the traffic above. Apparently a lot of civil servants in the Job Centre itself were taken ill with a mysterious illness which has been linked (in the minds of the conspiracy theorists at any rate) to said abatoir never being decontaminated.

Yes, well...on moonless nights the ghosts of heifers are said to bellow from the parking bays, although drunkards rolling about the carpark are a far more likely set of candidates in my opinion.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:23 pm 

Above Subway and under the clock! When they were demolishing we had a lot of Job Centre staff coming in to take photos of the site. There was a view that the JC had been built on a former metal working site and that there was some form of contamination. Wasn't the old gas works there?

A rare view of a Fleetwood whale:

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:49 pm 
Site Admin

Dave,

It certainly was. I remember the old gasometer casting its shadow across the post-office on Lord Street as late as the 1980s. Not sure when either of them closed, although by the time me and Michelle moved back to Fleetwood the gasometer itself had been demolished. The old post office building is still there, but empty nowadays...apart from the 'collection' office round the back.

If memory serves the abatoir (which wasn't there in the 1980s) was where I've shown it on the map below. We have got it officially labelled on a large scale early OS downstairs somewhere...but that'd mean me having to go down and look for it, so this'll have to do for now. It was one of those 'units' whatever the case.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:57 pm 

I worked out of Carleton Court (not Carlton as spelt on the MARIO map!).

The area between Carleton Court and the former JobCentre (Cop Lane) was just waste land where we parked our cars. Was the abattoir before or after the gasworks?

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:58 pm 
Site Admin

Dave,

Long time before the gasworks I suspect. There hasn't been a cattle market in Fleetwood for...well...as long as I've been around, so that must make it at least a century and a half.

Actually, I've just asked Michelle and she said the abatoir was around in Victorian times. Apparently there were a few health and safety issues that arose from the fact the codhea...er...locals were slaughtering their livestock in the alleys. Probably made the cobbles a bit slippery and dangerous. A by-law was introduced forcing them to use the abatoir instead.

Sounds like the underground tunnel theory was just a load of bull then. (Yep...my jokes are still suffering because of this flu.)

Report this post