The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian

Discussion Forum for 'The Fylde and Wyre Antiquarian'
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:02 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian (in association with Wyre Archaeology).

Post subject: Shard Bridge
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:41 pm 
Site Admin

Edwardian and Victorian photographs would also be great...although in this case it's another personal snap shot, taken of the old Shard Bridge in its final stages of demolition.

Don't forget...if you know of any wheezy, ancient and sagging buildings scheduled for demolition or just looking as though they're on their last legs, or even a field/meadow/whatever with a 're-development sign' standing in it, a photographic record would be brilliant.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:07 am 

The Shard Bridge Toll Rules are I think in Marsh Mill and make comical reading as some contraptions and mode of transport I have never heard of. When we were little uns my father in our Austin A40 would say two adults and two little piggies :? When paying the fare Shirley

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:23 am 
Site Admin

Cheers for the info Shirley. I'll check out Marsh Mill at some point and try to find the toll sign.

I remember some years ago I used to own a rather battered and on-its-last-legs van, the driver's side window of which was jammed permanently shut, its opening mechanism having given up the ghost many eons before. It was always fun pulling at the toll booth and trying to open the door wide enough to hand over the tuppence. Invariably the coin would escape and end up rolling around the bottom of the booth at which the point the toll collector would lose his temper and usher me through regardless.

The queues those toll booths generated were terrible at weekends. The new Shard Bridge is a definite improvement and no mistake.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:39 pm 

Hello Folks

Here are the toll charges, some strange ones.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:08 am 
Site Admin

Cheers John...classic stuff.

We must have had a lot of artistic beasts round here back in those days...they all seem to be drawing stuff. (It's the way I tell 'em!)

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:30 am 

John how do you manage to get the goods? I cannot imagine all those years ago the tailback of queues on that Rd over Shard. My father once got stuck in the mud at Skipool Creek investigating a derelict boat. It was a nasty experience of two men hauling him out (A Clarke trait nosying in corners of old things 8) ) Is there anyone old enough to remember the cafe at Skipool Creek which was like an upturned boat and was always damp, stood on poles and when you used the loo (if you were brave enough as you could see the water through the wooden floorboards below :oops: ) it was the room over the creek and you could hear the tide coming in.
Hey that was called Sunday enjoyment!! bye 'eck it 'aint like that now.

Shirley Ahh those golden days!!!

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:00 pm 
Site Admin

Shirley,

I don't remember that one. Mind you, I don't remember the loos in Thornton Lodge either. I vaguely recall somebody shouting "What are you doing behind the bar? You're drunk!" and then waking up in Skippool Creek, but that's about it.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:22 pm 
Site Admin

Actually Shirley, it's just struck me that the cafe you're talking about would be Tomlinson's Mill, now long gone, but converted in the 1920s into Mrs Mac's Tearooms, a photograph of which I managed to procur and write an article about a couple of weeks ago. Just for you I'll bung it up on the blogger board this Saturday.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:42 am 

Brilliant thanks for that Brian I remember the big manor house a little further down the lane that was more of a restruant too posh for us will try and find pic of me my sister and mum walking there in the wait for it 195os eek :shock:

Want a laugh? this is for Michelle her being of a youthful nature I owing to my twenty several nudge nudge :oops: age bought some of that collegen filler for the mature women (a bit like polyfiller) last year (a clarke trait vainess) and when I came to buy another my hubbie said why bother it hasn't worked :?

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:03 am 
Site Admin

Shirley,

Michelle doesn't bother with make-up and stuff, just the occasional mud-pack. I think in a previous life she was possibly a pig. (It's a good job she doesn't read this board otherwise I'd be in BIG trouble now.)

Report this post