The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian

Discussion Forum for 'The Fylde and Wyre Antiquarian'
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:05 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian (in association with Wyre Archaeology).

Post subject: Re: The Ivy Tree
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:29 pm 

I'll agree with what jtstatham is saying about not been able to save the building and nothing is sacred. I was having this conversation with some one about the Ivy tree the other day about how irate i get when, choosing my word carefully, 'developers' explain how a building is 'too far gone', and a single property is demolished and multiples appear on the site. With the job I do I could have come up with a a number of solutions to make it stable, just seems no one was willing to spend the money. This also happened to Illawalla and I opinions about the pier I keep to my self.

Also just out of interest to you and i'm not promising anything here (as i cost more than the house i live in), but i'm trained on one of the things in the link bellow and I use it quite often. I know you can hire these things but not sure how much. I also do a bit of surveying at work so if I can ever be of use to you let me know.

http://www.leica-geosystems.com/en/Leic ... _64228.htm

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:11 pm 
Site Admin

Neil,

Is that one of those whatchamacallits that people use to scan volcanoes and stuff? I'd love one them. It'd knock weeks, if not months, off the amount of time it takes us to survey sites with our old fashioned dumpy and stadia staffs. Unfortunately, it goes without saying, that Wyre Archaeology's budget wouldn't stretch that far, but if anyone out there knows of one lying around doing nothing in a back garden shed/council office somewhere...

By the way Neil, Chris is always on the lookout for people to help him survey our sites. If you fancy giving us a hand (not right now...after New Year and preferably when it's stopped snowing would be best) drop me a line. My e-mail address is under 'wyreachaeology' in the members list -- link at the top of the page. Alternatively, you could always P.M. me. Anybody who fancies chipping in with the surveying is always welcome in my book.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:38 pm 

Yeah its a 3D scanner we have great fun in the office scanning each others faces! We also have a total station that i may be able to borrow.
I'll Contact you in the new year.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:35 pm 
Site Admin

Cheers Neil...oh...and festive greetings and happy new year and all that.

Report this post