The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian

Discussion Forum for 'The Fylde and Wyre Antiquarian'
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:44 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian (in association with Wyre Archaeology).

Post subject: The Orion
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:14 pm 
Site Admin

In tonight's Gazette:

Quote:
Published Date:
15 June 2010
By Julia Bennett

BULLDOZERS have moved in on one of Cleveleys most treasured landmarks.
The number is well and truly up for the Orion Bingo Hall on Crescent West after the main demolition works of the 1934 Art Deco building were carried out over the weekend.

Admirers of the hall gathered to watch the iconic building come crashing to the ground as a gigantic orange bulldozer ruthlessly ripped through it.

The site was cordoned off as the back and sides of the once bustling bingo hall were pulled down, leaving nothing but a mangled mess of steel work, bricks and rubble behind the row of shops on one of the main roads leading into the coastal town.

The site has been empty since Orion Bingo Club , which was independently owned and run by a local family – in partnership with the Noble Organisation – closed at the end of last summer.

Local people had called for the building, which was originally the town's Odeon cinema, to be listed and preserved.

But low cost supermarket Aldi were given planning permission by Wyre Council planning committee to build a new 15,500sq ft food store with an area for 68 parking spaces as well as eight cycle spaces.

Aldi says the proposal offers an excellent opportunity to rejuvenate a vacant site, while providing residents with a genuine choice when it comes to a discount convenience shop.
Attachment:
orion.JPG
orion.JPG [ 15.03 KiB | Viewed 1415 times ]

Attachments:
orion_still_upright.jpg
orion_still_upright.jpg [ 165.48 KiB | Viewed 1410 times ]

Post subject: Re: The Orion
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:39 am 

No use crying over spilt milk, I suppose, but did anyone actually apply to have the Orion listed?

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:41 am 
Site Admin

Fyldecoaster,

I couldn't honestly say. I was never a fan of the building, myself. It was way too large, and (if possible) ugly for Cleveleys. Having said that, I do have a few 'treasured' (if that's the right word) memories of the place...mainly the roof, because we used to climb up the side of the post office when we were kids and sit up there for no particular reason. And I remember my sister once being called onto the stage when Roy Castle was performing. She burst into tears because he was so massively plastered with make-up. (Bit over-reactionary for somebody in her forties, perhaps, but that's my sister...)

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:40 pm 

That was such a charming building....why could they not keep the facade? It had character, it had style.....I wasnt even born in that era but I appreciated it for what it was. Wish i could have gone in there just once. Did anyone find any treasures inside...like a long-forgotton 1930's movie or a WW2 newsreel?????

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:22 pm 
Site Admin

Melanie, they were supposed to keep the facade, but by one of those million to one unfortunate chances (ahem) it fell down.

Report this post