The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian

Discussion Forum for 'The Fylde and Wyre Antiquarian'
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:47 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian (in association with Wyre Archaeology).

Post subject: Re: Gone and Forgotten
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:15 pm 

fyldecoaster wrote:
I still don’t know whereabouts on Lancaster Road that is.

Ted,

The site we excavated was the front drive and a bit of the lawn of Bodkin Hall. As you driving away from Stakepool towards Cockerham, there's a kink in the road at the junction with Field House Road. The kink goes round Bodkin Hall, but, we concluded, was actually there to avoid what we believe was a low-lying and very wet patch of land, possibly even a pond. Excavations revealed a grey, silty layer, that we concluded was probably the sludge from the bottom the wet area. As luck would have it, some workmen had dug a hole several feet deep just down the road and there was no sign of the silt in that, just red sand from just below the surface right down to the bottom. The adjacent field is (nowadays) lower-lying than the grounds of Bodkin Hall and was flooded for a good bit of the we were investigating the site, which lends weight to our conclusions.

We will have the excavation report if you want to know more.

Chris

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:24 pm 

Having looked at what I take to be Bodkin Hall on Street View, I don’t think it has the same setting as No 11.

No 12 looks more 18th century to me. It has three bays in the tradition of the older Fylde longhouses and has horizontal sliding-sash windows. The diagonal marks on the chimneys suggest a former roof line, indicating that it was once thatched. Aren’t those moss-stocks in front of the house?

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:27 pm 

Photo No 13 is a little different, an unidentified hall taken in the 1890s, to judge by the ladies’ “leg of mutton” sleeves. I don’t recall where it came from.
Before it is snapped up by a certain plagiaristic Facebook page (and I don’t mean “Blackpool’s Past”), I can tell that it is not Blackpool.

Attachment:
No13 Unidentified Hall.jpg
No13 Unidentified Hall.jpg [ 133.71 KiB | Viewed 2340 times ]

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:02 pm 
Site Admin

That looks remarkably like Fleetwood market.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:59 pm 

Nice of you to drop in from Facebook, Brian, with or without your own permission. It's been very quiet here.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:14 pm 

I agree with Fyldecoaster. Good to see you back, Brian. As far as the photo is concerned I'm a little confused by what appears to be a stage which can be seen on the left. Without that (and the smartly dressed women) I would have guessed at a factory of some sort. The number of pillars also would make it a very strange theatre.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:48 pm 

Photo 13, I was watching the box a couple of weeks ago and remarked to Sheryl, 'I've seen that room in a photo somewhere', but couldn't remember where. Then I came on here and saw the photo again, but can't remember the programme. Frustrating isn't it!

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:42 am 

Perhaps it will come back to you, Frank. It is bothering me, too. I am now askiing experts on such buildings.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:56 pm 

They don't know, either!

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:55 am 

Here No 14. It is from the collection of the late Maisie Allen of Bispham, who used to run WEA courses on Fylde history. I think that’s her in the photo. It shows the rear of an old farmhouse, probably in the Blackpool area and perhaps just before it was demolished.

Attachment:
No 14 Unidentified Farmhouse, M Allen.jpg
No 14 Unidentified Farmhouse, M Allen.jpg [ 183.46 KiB | Viewed 2189 times ]

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:58 am 

Here is photo no 15. It was taken about 1960 and has the look of a street in the Blackpool area. If so, the orientation of the TV aerials suggests a street running east-west. Behind the gates to the right is a billboard advertising day excursions to the Isle of Man. If you think you know where it might be, please do try to confirm it first on Google Earth or Microsoft’s Bing (aka Live Search Maps, etc.) I haven’t been able to find a match for the properties in the photo.

Attachment:
No 15 Unidentified road c1960.jpg
No 15 Unidentified road c1960.jpg [ 136.57 KiB | Viewed 2160 times ]

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:31 pm 

The street lamps are the same in 14 and 15, whether that will help, but someone must remember 'jocks box snack bar'

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:22 pm 

Photo no. 15 has now been identified as Squires Gate Lane, Blackpool, a little west of Abbey Road. The three older houses are now the site of flats called Cairne Court. The double gates led to a caravan park, and perhaps the snack bar catered for those staying in them.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:31 pm 

fyldecoaster wrote:
Here No 14. It is from the collection of the late Maisie Allen of Bispham, who used to run WEA courses on Fylde history. I think that’s her in the photo. It shows the rear of an old farmhouse, probably in the Blackpool area and perhaps just before it was demolished.

Attachment:
No 14 Unidentified Farmhouse, M Allen.jpg

Picture no14 was taken by myself Michael Allen, I used to go with Maisie Allen (no relation) all around the local area photographing places of interest to her. There was usually three of us on our trips Maisie, myself and Harry Johnson her lodger who was our driver. I had a keen interest in photography and my own darkroom and was only to pleased to be aked to do this work for her, I think I took most if not all of her pictures from this period c1970s. It is Maisie in the photograph and I think Harry Johnson just behind her, I got a phone call from her one day asking could I come straight away and photograph an old farmhouse that was to be demolished that same week, sadly as I took hundreds of photo's for her I don't remember where it was although I have a vague suspicion it was in the Revoe area.

Report this post