The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian

Discussion Forum for 'The Fylde and Wyre Antiquarian'
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:46 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian (in association with Wyre Archaeology).

Post subject: Minutes of Meeting 20 June
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:12 pm 

Minutes of Wyre Archaeology Group Meeting 20 June 2012
Present: P Ashman, D Berry, C Clayton, B Culshaw-Phillips, K Emery, D Hammond, D Hampson, T Lightbown, B Rigby, C Ricco, H Ricco, Ed Shone. F Smith, S Tingle.
Guests: P Asher, D Ratledge
1. Chairman welcome: Vice –chair Dave Hammond welcomed everyone to the June meeting.

2. Apologies for absence: received from, Pat Emery, G Thornton, Dominic Whalley, Seb Whalley.

3. Minutes of last meeting: Chair read minutes of 16 May meeting which were approved as correct with amendment to Matters Arising to read: ‘Dave Berry reported that he and Chris had examined some of the features at Nateby which they considered could result from farm workings.’

4. Matters arising: a) Highgate Lane – Chris reported that due to illness of the landowner it was unlikely that we would be able to dig there in the immediate future. It may be that there could be other locations in the area along the line of the postulated road so he would make some enquiries. b) Big Dig – DWH pointed out that it was now too late to recruit students for trhi summer. Dave Hammond suggested putting dig back to September. A show of hands was in favour of this and DWH was asked to convene a planning group to begin process and to consider which site(s) should be prioritised. David Ratledge had suggested that investigation of the route of the Danes’ Pad to the west of Kirkham might be of value and there was some discussion about a possible salt pan site near Pilling. It was agreed that Dave Hammond would pursue enquiries about Rawcliffe Hall and Dave Berry would follow up on the Pilling Salt Pan. c) DWH reported that he had investigated the cost of ‘geophys’ equipment but that it appeared that in the main organisations tended to hire companies to undertake this type of survey and that equipment was extremely expensive. This was borne out by feedback from other members.

5. Treasurer’s Report: Chris reported on Gary’s behalf that the account stood at £567.81 but that Barbara and Hilary had raised a further £225.90 at the recent car boot sale bringing the total to £793.71. A vote of thanks was passed for Hilary’s and Barbara’s continuing success.

6. Executive Committee: None

7. Correspondence: David Ratledge had agreed to speak to group at the next (this) meeting. Peter Iles had suggested investigating the Bourne Hill site across the road from our current excavation to locate any trace of the mediaeval hall or wider settlement.

8. Excavation Update: Brian R reported that further excavations had taken place on 20 and 27 May with a total of 6 one metre trenches being open. 20 May: Trench H1 opened to depth of 65cm. Hard red sand comprised the ‘floor’ surface and revealed a large deep hole. Trenches I1 and I2 were of a similar nature and I2 also revealed holes of varying size and depth, the deepest being approx 10cm. Finds were similar to those found previously viz. cannel coal, brick, stones and possible daub had been found. In I2 a small piece of pot (? Roman) was found that matched a piece found later in I1. A large nail was found also in the side of I1. 27 May: F1 opened to a depth of 70cm. The surface revealed a large hole of 13 cm depth and probable conical section. A number of larger stones were embedded in the side of the hole, appearing to be supports. K2 was opened to approx 68cm where a hole of similar depth was revealed. At the edge abutting K1 a scatter of stones was revealed and on extending the trench by 0.5m into K1 these appeared to form a small circle . Finds were not diagnostic but comprised daub, brick fragments, cannel coal and some unglazed sherds.

9. AOB: Ed suggested having cards and/ or car stickers printed via Vista Print

10. Date of next meeting: Wednesday 18 July at 7.00pm in Dance Studio.

Report this post