The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian

Discussion Forum for 'The Fylde and Wyre Antiquarian'
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:45 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian (in association with Wyre Archaeology).

Post subject: Early 1950s Kirkham
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:37 pm 

A good aerial view of the centre of Kirkham around 1950 (NOT taken by me thankyou!), with loads of GBNF buildings.
Left to right:- Birleys flax mill, Mill Street running from it to Town End, with the Mill lodge house, the Ambulance Hall (dance hall) and row of cottages all of which made way for Safeway, now Morrisons.
Upper mid centre is Birley Street, off to the left of the main road, Poulton Street, at the end of which you can see a curved roof with a white gable end, that is the Empire Cinema.
Carry on up Poulton Street to the market square where you can see the still extant fish stones. On the two sides of the market square where there is now incredably ugly horrible drab grey concrete brick built shops, you can see the marvelous old buildings they demolished.
Off to the left of the market square is Church Street, the last half of the side facing the camera having gone, as is the old St Michaels school behind them, in front of the trees.
Past the market square on to Preston Street a charabank (coach) is parked outside a three storey double bay fronted house. That is where the Fylde motor company garage is now.
The street running parrallell to the right of Poulton Street, Marsden Street, has a large three storey building half way along, that was the Fylde Union workhouse, demolished in the sixties.
Finally, the gasworks chimney can bee seen at the bottom of the picture.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:57 am 
Site Admin

Frank,

Just trying to get my bearings here. A couple of inches in from the bottom left hand corner...or to put it another way, almost in the centre at the bottom of the photograph...is that building the Swan?

I don't know Kirkham as well as I ought to, but I have a few recollections of the Swan (at least, I hope that's what it was called) with its sawdust strewn floor and somewhat basic loos. (Presumably it's been refurbished a bit since the last time I went for a drink there.)

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:28 am 

Brian,
You'r right, that is the Swan, still there but no longer the roughest pub in Kirkham as it was in my youth.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:45 am 
Site Admin

Frank,

It was definitely a pub suffused with what Laurie Lee would no doubt call 'character and ambience'.

There's a lot of history in Kirkham...a heck of a lot, in fact...even if, by the sounds of things, several swathes of it have been remodelled in the last half century. One of these days (preferably when the wind isn't blowing and the rain isn't pouring) I'll drag my bike out of the garden shed and set out on a fact-finding hike.

Cheers for the photograph and guided tour.

Incidentally, I've been meaning to ask...what does the 'Carrillion' in your signature mean? (Working on the assumption that you're happy to tell us, of course.)

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Early 1950s Kirkham
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:27 pm 

Location: Dual residency . Waikouaiti NZ and Cleveleys UK summer
On the map , slightly laid back from the St Michael school building is a lone structure . I'm pretty sure this was the old Kirkham Grammar School ( demolished in the early fifties ) A derelict but beautiful old building dating from the sixteenth century . My grandad told me that Lord Woolton (Fred Marquis ) famous WW2 politician , lived in Kirkham for a while and attended the grammar school . Also in the grounds of the school was an underground WW2 air raid shelter for the St Michael's school children .

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:19 pm 

The house on Preston Street (where the charabanc is parked) was where my grandparents lived as tenants of a Mrs Preston, the widow of a local doctor. As far as I know they lived there from the 1930s until 1956 when they moved into a new council house on the Close.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:34 am 

Teddyboy,
I don't think the grammar school is on the photo, but here's one of it.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:47 am 

What a lovely photo of the old grammar school .The old building was certainly around as recent as the late forties . The building was situated convenient to " The Crofts " short cut to Treales . We often used to shelter from rain storms on our walks . Even in it's derelict state it was still a magnificent structure steeped in history . Certainly the roof was still pretty waterproof . I wonder which year the " Vandals "and " The Levelers " finally demolished and desecrated this beautiful building . It was certainly post late forties .

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Early 1950s
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:57 pm 

Another interesting building on the Kirkham photo was the three story Dickensian looking structure at the end of the row of cottages in Mill St . This building was referred to by my grandparents as " The Soap Factory ." When I was young it was a " Brush Factory " , owned by the Gray family .

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:11 pm 

On Marsden St almost opposite the old Fylde Workhouse is a detached structure . This was " The Old Britannia Inn " . This was owned by The Hoffman family and you can see the remains of the bowling green to the rear . I think the pub closed before WW2 .

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:00 pm 

I've found a couple more photos with the Grammar School on so I'll share them with you.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:20 am 

Great photos Frank . Wonderful memories of my childhood , Before my father joined the army , one of my earliest memories was a walk to The Derby Arms at Treales on a sunny summer sunday lunchtime via the crofts and the old grammar school and the allotments , culminating in a glass of tizer and a bag of tattis crisps with the blue bag .

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:39 pm 

teddyboy, can you PM me, I've been tied up for a while.

Report this post