The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian

Discussion Forum for 'The Fylde and Wyre Antiquarian'
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:02 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian (in association with Wyre Archaeology).

Post subject: Re: Bergerode
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:01 pm 

If we want someone from the LPNS to talk to us, Jennifer Holt might be a better contact. Perhaps our resident linguist (Dave Hampson) will have some views on this when he returns from holiday.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:58 am 

The 1689 chart is interesting, but I think whoever drew it has just thrown in a few geographical features from the Saxton/Speed maps, probably without any particular knowledge of what they represented. It also shows the “weak chinned” profile of the Fylde Coast of the Saxton/Speed maps. It was only with Fearon & Eyes’ 1736 chart that the inaccuracy was corrected. Emanuel Bowen, in his Lancashire map of 1751 evidently based his coast, on F&E, as some of his place names are similar those on their chart (“Black Pool Town”, for instance), but before that practically all cartographers had followed Saxton and Speed.

With regard to Bob's post, isn't it an ongoing Lancashire place name survey, rather than a society? I recall Bruce Jackson delivering a talk about it at St. Annes about two years ago. His main thrust was that etymology is such an esoteric subject that it should be left to philologists!

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:23 pm 

A naval chart would identify prominent landscape features as a navigation guide. Bourne Hill, although under 50ft above OD would have been the most prominent landscape feature for miles around. Bergerode could be a representation of O.N. berg-oddr 'The hill on the tongue of land'.

See link for the lost Ravenser Odd at the mouth of the Humber.

https://archive.is/EPbDv

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:19 am 

Quote:
Eckwall gives Greenhalgh as pronounced 'grena' with a long 'e'

Dave,
That's just how we knew it in the 50s, Greena Village Lane and Greena Back Lane are still there as my parents pronounced it.

Sorry Dave, just re read the topic and see you were on about the Castle not the village, may be the same!

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:19 am 

Doh!

I've just realised in the course of researching another place name that Bergerode (remember this is the label that Speed gives to the River Wyre on his 1610 map) doesn't mean 'roadstead of the hill) i.e. where ships ride safely at anchor in the shelter of Bourne Hill, which was my earlier contention. Nor does it mean 'red hill' as argued in other posts.

In fact this possibly links back to the old discussions about lost harbours! I've just realised that the word harbour derives from an early germanic word or rather 2 words that meant army (heri) and shelter or lodging (berga). So Bergerode is the
sheltered riding/roadstead or in other words harbour. This is the only feature on Speeds map actually named as 'Harbour' which implies the Wyre was known as The Harbour
'

Report this post