The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian

Discussion Forum for 'The Fylde and Wyre Antiquarian'
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:51 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian (in association with Wyre Archaeology).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: illawalla
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:15 pm 
Site Admin

The usual method is to use a copy of Word or Publisher...Word's my personal preference.

Then, when it's done, check out http://www.Lulu.com . (Of course, you could check that out first if you prefer, just to see what you're up against.)

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:22 pm 

Hi
I am the granddaughter of Sir Frederick Emery, who i mentioned in the blogs below. I can answer many of your questions, and I can't wait to know the name of my secret "best friend". Illwalla is Indian for the house of plenty.
I lived in this house when my mother died in 1951 for about three years, before moving back to Links Gate when my ather married again.
I am now a County Councillor for Lancashire, and Champion for the disabled people. my seat is Skelmersdale East, which covers Wrightington. My usband died of cancer at 48 years of age and I am a widow. Enough about me, if you would like to ask me any questions about Illawalla, please do

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:39 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Carolyn. I think you've already answered the main question, that being, "What does 'Illawalla' mean?"

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:43 pm 

Hi Carolyn, thankyou for finally clearing up the question of the meaning of "Illawalla". Glad you've made it to the forum, please tell us whatever you want to remember about the old Illawalla and it's history. Were you about when the film of "Valentino" was made? Do you know where the old gardeners cottage was situated?

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:38 am 

Hello.
I was idly looking at the site searching for the spelling for Illawalla. I was intrigued to find so many people interested in Illawalla as my grandfather was the head gardener in the 1950s. I frequently visited at the time when my grandparents had a house on the banks of the Wyre and have very happy memories.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: illawalla Chimneys
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:38 am 

The memory of the Illawalla lives on. It's demise was distressing, and during demolition I tried in vain to buy the gargoyles off the square tower. They later turned up at Smythes auction rooms on Victoria rd, where they fetched £2500 if memory serves me well. Fast forward 20 years or so & during construction of a new building in my garden. I wondered how grand those magnificent gothic chimneys on the Illawallah would look atop of the chimney stack. A couple of days later I was sat at temporary traffic lights in Carleton & to my amazement, there outside a bungalow sat two of these Royal Doulton master pieces. The lady home owner had fond memories of her clubbing days, hence her purchase of them years ago. Anyway a deal was done & I have scaled the chimneys from the picture of the house nearing completion and a replica stack is to be built to sit them on. I would be very interested to learn of the where a bouts of any other chimney or archete rural piece from The House Of Plenty*
(* Illawalla, native North American meaning)

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:39 am 

Hello to Charlie, I have only just noticed your post that your Grand father was head gardener in the 1950's. That's fascinating as my Gt Grandfather also was a gardener (supposedly "Head " also) in the much earlier years... maybe approx 1910-1920's???. Apparently the gardeners cottage was originally close to the kitchen at the back of the bungalow before it was built over by Skipool. That's why my grandmother (the cook) married the Gardeners son!!!

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:20 pm 

When we bought our house in Preesall, we were told that the fireplace and decorative plasterwork panels that are in our living room, were all salvaged from the Illawalla

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6