The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian

Discussion Forum for 'The Fylde and Wyre Antiquarian'
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:54 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian (in association with Wyre Archaeology).

Post subject: Fluke Hall History?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:55 pm 

Hi, I've just joined the forum as my family goes back at least 5 generations on the Fylde although I live in Penwortham now. Went a walk from Knott End to Fluke Hall yesterday and was amazed to see lapwings, little egrets, a curlew, an emu, a hare and a lama. I remember Fluke Hall from when I was a kid in the late 40's and my friend's mum and dad took us on the tram to Fleetwood, over the ferry and a walk and picnic to Pilling. I tried to find some history of the Hall on Google but couldn't find much. Does anyone out there know anything of its history?

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Fluke Hall History?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:09 pm 

1656 - Fluke Hall, Pilling: Records show that the hall, known then as Lune Bank, was in existence near Pilling this year.

Lune Bank was fully rebuilt in the 19th Century, and from June 1878, it became formally known as Fluke Hall, after the awarding to the incumbent Gardner family of their own Coat of Arms. The Gardners were rich wine and spirit merchants with premises on Dale Street in Liverpool, and held a moiety (half) of the manor of Pilling. The original hall had its own cottages, stables, pleasure grounds, boating lake, and gardens.
In 1869, Richard Gardner donated a new organ to Pilling Church. The family was also responsible for the rebuilding of Pilling ****.

The property was sold by the Gardner family to the Elletson family in July 1916, and is now a nursing home for the elderly.

Report this post