The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian

Discussion Forum for 'The Fylde and Wyre Antiquarian'
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:43 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian (in association with Wyre Archaeology).

Post subject: Harrowside Golf Links
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:12 pm 

Hi All. and a Happy pending Christmas and New Year! I have a reference to 'Harrowside Golf Links', in South Shore, in fact a War Memorial for it containing the names: Eric Pilkington, George Holden & Bert Ogden. Found in a book of poems by Birch, called Armageddon. I can find no trace of the club nor the individuals. Can anyone throw any light in it? Was it the original Blackpool Golf Club, laid out at the Airport till about 1939, or is it something different. Help please. M

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Harrowside Golf Links
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:26 am 

Mike, I had quite forgotten about your question in view of the King’s Scar thread. About 10 or 15 years ago the Gazette published some articles about the early Fylde golf clubs written Tom Halstead of Fleetwood. I have cuttings somewhere. However, here is an extract from a talk about Bispham Hawes at South Shore by the Blackpool historian, the late Alan Stott:-

Harrowside Golf Club
"The first golf in Blackpool was played west of the railway from Harrowside towards the Star Inn, by Alexander Doleman, who came here in 1858 from Musselburgh to be head of the National School at Dean Street corner. He left the town, but returned to open his High School in Moore Street in 1880, and introduced the boys to golf in the sand hills. It was not however until 1894 that a Blackpool Club was formed, which had a 9 hole course east of the railway just north of our area for 16 months, before moving in June 1895 to the site of Pontins Holiday Camp, and then to the 18 hole course on the airport site. Golf, however, did not desert its cradle, and a 9 hole course was made between Burlington Road and Harrowside, with a small wooden clubhouse, at what was then the end of Bournemouth Road. The Great War, I think, claimed the course for allotments."

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:20 am 

Marvellous! I felt there was more to this than the Pontins site. Thanks so much. Very much appreciated. I'll now register the War Memorial with the info you have supplied. Many thanks. M

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:23 pm 

1894 - Blackpool Golf Club: The Blackpool Golf Club was founded on land at Harrowside on the 20th of February. At that original site, a proper 9-hole course was made between Burlington Road and Harrowside, with a small wooden clubhouse, at the end of Bournemouth Road. This had gone by the end of World War 1.
When the Grand Hotel opened on Lytham Road, it advertised itself as “only 5 minutes from the golf course”.
The first match was played on the 4th of April, between teams selected by the club captain, W H Hampson, and by Mr A H Doleman, the captain’s team being the runaway winners. Mr Doleman had first started the playing of golf in Blackpool in 1880, when he taught the pupils of his boys’ school in Moore Street to play on the land which was soon to be the golf club.

In June 1895 the club moved to the future site of the holiday camp at Squires Gate. The Blackpool Golf Club extended its course to eighteen holes in 1905, and in 1913, the course was redesigned as a better 18-hole course – extending over the future site of the airport.
Blackpool Golf Club built their new club house in 1904, in the form of two large houses facing the course on Clifton Drive. That club house lasted just over a year, and became the Thursby Rest Home in June 1905.
The final course was a par 74, and the course record was set in 1908 by James Braid, at 65.
Refreshments were available from 1905 when the wooden clubhouse was opened, and the membership peaked at 600 in the 1930s.

In 1939, the club’s course was taken over for runways etc. The golf club could be reached from either Clifton Drive or Squires Gate Lane (its postal address) at the time.
The golf club closed in 1940, when the wooden bungalow, that had been the second club house, was transported bodily to the Green Drive course in Lytham.

Report this post