The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian

Discussion Forum for 'The Fylde and Wyre Antiquarian'
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:03 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian (in association with Wyre Archaeology).

Post subject: Nottingham hall
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:03 pm 

Firstly, does this site cover Goosnargh?. If so i am looking for anything about a manor house that has been levelled opposite the Horns inn pub Inglewhite road called Nottingham hall. It appears on an old tithe map apparently and may have been considerable in size, but it's not just this but the owners and why it got the name that i'm most interested in. I have a few theories but i just want anyone who has heard of it or seen it on a map to paste a copy on this thread asap assuming they can get one. My friend is also interested and would love to read whatever anyone has to say concerning it. Most of you will probably never have heard of it so i think this is going to be quite a unique learning curve all round. Any links to the English Civil War will be a BIG bonus btw!!.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Nottingham hall
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:15 pm 

From Mario Maps the first edition 10000 series OS maps gives the attached map. Buck House Inn (or Buck Horns Inn) became the Horn's Inn. There doesn't seem to be much of a building where Nottingham Hall is marked. Richard Cookson's history of Goosnargh https://archive.org/stream/goosnarghpastpre00cookiala/goosnarghpastpre00cookiala_djvu.txt doesn't even mention it.

Attachments:
Horns Inn.jpg
Horns Inn.jpg [ 68.06 KiB | Viewed 226 times ]
Report this post

Post subject: Re: Nottingham hall
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:44 pm 

Thanks for the map, i can see something under the H of Hall, maybe it's a tree but it looks more like a square. If you can blow it up a few notches maybe it will come clearer. From what the map suggests we were looking in the wrong field as we were straight over the road from the Horns Inn and the feature is on Horns lane itself. It probably explains the name of the pub from Nottingham and Robin hood folkore, i know there is a portrait of John Lord (baron) Byron of Newstead in Tabley hall Cheshire and there are strong links with the Warren Lords Bulkeley in Goosnargh (see british history online VCH's under Goosnargh). Byrons held the abbey at Newstead from the Augustinian canons who had been there when the fabled do gooder was around, i think there is an unavoidable and quite tangible link here.

Report this post