The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian

Discussion Forum for 'The Fylde and Wyre Antiquarian'
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:44 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian (in association with Wyre Archaeology).

Post subject: North Pier, Blackpool.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:03 pm 

Meant to post this several weeks ago after an October half-term break in Blackpool - but has anyone other than me noticed the state of the North Pier in general?

I looked at it from the Cenotaph and it looked just awful - crying out for a little (or a lot) of TLC.

Or is it just that this iconic structure is being milked until the day when all its seemingly unloved features crumble into the sea below?

Very, very sad to see it in this state.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: North Pier, Blackpool.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:16 pm 

I think we have to face facts, the golden days of Blackpool are past. It's a 19th century resort for 19th century people from the smokey mills of Preston and east Lancashire to relax and take the waters. I suppose drinking medicinal water has come full circle, but its in bottled form, not all fresh from the source except for places like Buxton or (for those who dare), Harrogate. It's not a big enough industry to breathe life back into the place, but entertainment could 'keep Blackpool buzzin' for a while longer. I had an idea of bringing back flying boats which would land on the sea and make use of the piers, it's a shame Squire's gate closed and it would be a good shuttle service for commuters besides upgrding the railway and station(s). That does'nt do much for what has become a very shabby and 'dirty old town' and it's going to take more than flying boat ports/jetties, but worth a thought i suppose.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:52 pm 

Robert, contrary to your post, Squires Gate Airport is not closed, it's just not International any more. The Isle of Man and Belfast service is carrying more now than before Jet2 pulled out, and there's still plenty of little uns flying about!

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:42 pm 

thanks for that enlightenment on Squire's gate. Incidently which squire are we dealing with, presumably the Clifton squire I get the gate part as in street from old Norse 'gata' same as Friargate or Fishergate, but was it on their land the first airport was built from the WW2 airbase and does it actually refer to the gateway to a mansion around there, i'm a newbie so do enlighten me?.

Report this post