The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian

Discussion Forum for 'The Fylde and Wyre Antiquarian'
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:43 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian (in association with Wyre Archaeology).

Post subject: ROMAN GARSTANG
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:22 pm 

A friend of mine from Gt Eccleston told me that he had seen in a newspaper that prior to a building development in Garstang an archaeological dig will be taking place due to the possibility of a Roman settlement in the area. I cannot find any reference to this, does anyone know anything about it.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: ROMAN GARSTANG
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:23 pm 

Frank, I`ve just started another thread (Bowgreave Roman Road), not having read your post. It may be what you`re after.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:45 am 

Haven't read the Bowgreave piece yet, but from my researches (on temporary hold) there has been considerable recent Roman coin finds in the Garstang, Catterall, Cabus area. This indicates a site (or sites) of some sort. I will have to re-cover my notes, but from memory David Shotter thought there were indications of a site that justified further investigation. I had a higher level of access to the PAS database for a while and noticed one coin from the early 5th Century which was significant in itself. I have not checked back yet to see if this coin and the others recently found have now been added to the publicly available PAS data. Needless to say when I queried this 5th Century coin my access was reduced to the level it was felt I deserved (at that time), which was still adequate, just shielded some of the finds not yet fully substantiated.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:05 pm 

There is another undeveloped central site of about 3 acres in Garstang. It`s bordered by the canal, River Wyre, The Toppings and Leathercote. Is there any reason to believe that this may contain Roman artefacts?

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:02 pm 

There's a suggestion in Graystone's book 'Walking Roman Roads in The Fylde & Ribble Valley' that a Roman Road follows the line of Garstang Rd through Bowgreave but continues staright on at Bowgreave police station towards the canal. A straight field boundary is clear on maps and aerials. It goes on (he says) to join the line of the A6 at Cabus. This would go very close to both the Topiary Gardens and The Toppings areas.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:49 pm 

Does that indicate a river crossing at about Sainsbury`s?

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:19 pm 

The author doesn't make a specific comment about this, Phil, but he suggests the line continues northwards until it meets the A6 just south of Fowler Hill Lane near Cabus then continues along this lane. If you try to join these points up in a straight line then any crossing would be well to the west of the Sainsbury site. On the 1940 aerial photos on MARIO, there is also a straight hedge line across the field where Sainsbury now is in line with that on the south bank. If this does indicate a road then it could then have dog-legged to the west to join the line of Lancaster Road and then onto the line mentioned above.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:23 am 

A digger has ploughed a long trench in the field at Bowgreave between Dew Forest and Topiary Gardens. Locals tell me that they`re looking for the Roman road suspected to run through there.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:29 pm 

What are the chances of there being something around Greenhalgh castle or even under it?.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:59 am 

Have a look at: www.wyrearchaeology.org.uk for news about our dig in Garstang

Report this post