The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian

Discussion Forum for 'The Fylde and Wyre Antiquarian'
It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:10 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian (in association with Wyre Archaeology).

Post subject: Re: Portus Setantiorum
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:39 am 

Attachment:
lidar image of the area.jpg
lidar image of the area.jpg [ 289.64 KiB | Viewed 61 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: google picture
google shot2.jpg
google shot2.jpg [ 167.84 KiB | Viewed 61 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Water level at 7m
WYRE roman era.jpg
WYRE roman era.jpg [ 72.5 KiB | Viewed 61 times ]
When i read about Portus Setantiorum the Missing Port, most sites say it was at the tip of the Wyre at Fleetwood!
sorry but that is total Rubbish! why! well i do a lot of research using many forms of programs, one i use online is a simple sea level site - http://flood.firetree.net/ i have worked out using known Roman Ports such as Heronbridge at Chester that the sea level is right if you set the above site to 7m,
The Romans built their Ports inland and not directly on the coast, they where like rats up a drainpipe, follow a river inland and you will find Roman activity and possibly a small fort, and look outs stations dotted all along the river,
any name starting with STA like Stanna, and there are several of those around the west coast, will have a sea connection, even up in Scotland where its just Annan, i am working on a Stanna nr Parbold right now, with Standish, connections, a small fort on the Mersey at STAnlow has recently been found, the word seems to mean ( a place to stop, the end of a journey) similar to Station, or Stay, now before i go on, let me just say, i believe there was not just one port called Setantiorum, i believe the term was used to describe an area of water and ports the the Setantii tribe was in abundance, the Settantii being the Fishermen, and part of the Brigantii domain, the Farmers and hunters, there would have been small fishing communities all around the west coast and with the area being almost bog like for miles, the Romans would not have gone anywhere near it for themselves, But they would have traded with the local fishermen who would have been used to seeing foreign ships, The Roman soldiers staple diet was a fish glupe i cannot pronounce or would like to taste or smell, so i conclude by saying i do think there was a main Roman/Setantii port, and i do think its possible Poulton could have been it, now i am going to attach some pictures i hope someone can give me some background local information on as i am not local, first is an area on the peninsular marked with a green dot, i think could have been a good site for a port at 7m, , a google shot, followed by a lidar shot of the same site, and finally a lidar shot of small square a sent you a google shot of some years back. enjoy pulling this lot apart. bob

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:54 pm 

There is a fantastic quayside at Wardleys Creek which is not always easy to spot. Big ships berthed there. The romantic (excuse the pun) in me would like to think that Portus Setantiorum is indeed at Wardleys Creek. Right under our collective noses. See my pics of the quayside in previous posts.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:45 pm 

Bob, I am intrigued by the lidar map you have attached, and I would like to see what an expert on these thinks about the features. The Fylde has been subject to a thorough investigation of the lidar images and to date I am not aware of anything of archaeological importance in this area, which is, I’m sorry to say, not near the green dot on your map, but a few miles south at Mythop, (you can see Marton windmill in the bottom left corner of the google map). Interestingly, it does seem to have some regular features on, and is close to Staining, which fits in with your ideas on places beginning with STA, but I would like to see what a place name expert makes of your theory. The lidar shot of Stannah does not seem to have appeared.
As for the site of Portus Setantiorum, no one can say any theory on a subject is ‘rubbish’ until the positive identification of a likely site is made and such a statement tends to discredit the authors integrity.

Report this post