The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian

Discussion Forum for 'The Fylde and Wyre Antiquarian'
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:43 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian (in association with Wyre Archaeology).

Post subject: PREESALL
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:21 pm 

Preesall is a village that I’ve not paid much attention to while passing through on the way to Knott End motorbike meetings. From the air it looks quaint and interesting with a couple of pubs, and that strange building in the middle of a road junction. Does anyone know its history, why it’s there etc. I have also heard of Roman connections, is there any hard evidence? I know someone who says his father lives on Preesall hill, maybe that would be an opportunity for a test pit in the garden.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:29 pm 

The building in the middle of the junction is known as the roundhouse, because of its shape at the western end. When I was at school (St Aidans), the rounded bit was a sweet shop. Then last time I walked by I noticed that it had been converted into an additional room for the house. I think it had been renamed, but I can't recall what to. That's about all I know about it. There's a not-to-clear photo that includes it at:

http://www.frithphotos.com/preesall/photos/the-village-c1955_p344003/

The two pubs that can be seen are The Black Bull (nearest) and The Saracen's Head. If I recall correctly, there's a 17th or 18th century farmhouse nestling between the two pubs. The white building jutting out into the road is the Post Office.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:01 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I have also heard of Roman connections, is there any hard evidence?

Frank,

Our Roman road in Stalmine (the one that we partially excavated last year) appears to have been heading in the direction of Preesall Hill, and a few years ago the now late Brian Pinney, who lived at the base of said hill, brought a large chunk of mortarum into Wyre Archaeology that he'd dug up from his front garden. Thornber also postulated that Preesall Hill had the remains of a Roman fort on top of it. Having climbed the hill on numerous occasions myself, (it's extremely steep sided and would have made an excellent fortification) I suspect he was correct.

Oh yes...and there were, of course, two large Roman coin hoards came out of the hill as well.

Excellent photos as always, by the way.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: PREESALL
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:34 am 

The roundhouse is on the corner of Smithy Lane, and was originally an old blacksmiths workshop. I believe this design of Smithy was popular in Scotland at sometime. However, there are atill heavy Smithy artefacts at the side of this building that probably havent been moved in over a century.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:43 am 

As for Roman evidence, I have lived on Preesall Hill for 27 years and the land where the coin hoards where found c1926 belongs to me. I know to within 10 feet where and how they were uncovered & interestingly a fascimile reprint of an 18th century map, shows a spring/ well 15 feet away from the hoards location. This ground is always wet and incredibly in times of drought can actually start running, albeit a trickle, but it defies logic.
I have also found several pieces of Roman pottery on the hill in my youth, but as they were not a complete amphora, regretably I held them with little value.
I would be interested in conducting a little ametuer archeological exploration of the area, so if there is any interest from this group, let me know.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:34 pm 

I have spoken to a guy who had connections in Preesall, who told me that some years ago a farmer was digging on his land in the Preesall area and uncovered a mosaic floor, which could in all probability denote a Roman villa. Because the farmer didn't want archaeologists on his land, he covered it up again. If true, this could represent only the second Roman villa (outside of the many forts) found in the north of England, the other being in Yorkshire. Anyone in the Preesall area ever heard this rumour?

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:46 am 

Gary, Frank
CC, DB and DH of Wyre Archaeology had a very interesting meeting and conducted visit of what could be a promising site courtesy of Mikado54mark and are considering adding this to our 2016 programme. We'll fill you in on 16th Dec.

Report this post