The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian

Discussion Forum for 'The Fylde and Wyre Antiquarian'
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:57 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian (in association with Wyre Archaeology).

Post subject: Re: ROSSALL BEACH
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:58 pm 
Site Admin

Terry,

Possibly just a coincidence. There seems to have been a lot of brick fields and kilns and stuff on the peninsula (I believe the sand round here is good for making bricks) so the chances are, wherever the coins came up they would have been close to some brick connected area.

Incidentally, I've only just managed to get back on-line again. 'Three' are not in my good books at the moment. Not sure how long I'll manage to stay on-line this time, but if I vanish again for more than a week, send out a search party will you? I'll be heading off to Three's Corporate Headquarters with two SKYPE phones, a dongle and a very sharp trowel.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:30 pm 

Always complain, Brian and the Chief Executives office is always top of my hit list for any company that has badly let me down.

I realise it could have been coincidental (the brick fields), but it also crossed my mind that what was good for bricks in Victorian times might also have been good or bricks in Roman times...just a passing thought.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:48 pm 
Site Admin

Terry,

Quote:
"...what was good for bricks in Victorian times might also have been good for bricks in Roman times..."

An excellent hypothesis and one I totally agree with. I just wish we could find something to verify it on the Fleetwood peninsula, or even anywhere in the Wyre. A villa would be nice; even a hypocaust or just a Roman well. Chances are if such things ever existed they're now long since destroyed through either ignorance or 'development deadlines'. You never know though...we might uncover something yet. I'm keeping my fingers, legs and eyes crossed here.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:17 pm 

Brian, I'm not sure who to approach re this matter...I contribute to www.fgsonline.co.uk (ex-Fleetwood Grammar School people's site). When we are not falling out (and believe me there's been some humdingers...fingers have been digitally pointed and access has been withdrawn) we do get a few good pieces posted. Well, I referred the Fylde and Wyre Antiquarian link to our current membership a week or two back and they were quite taken with the aerial shots of the Fylde (plus some of the local history stuff). We've got a couple of pieces ongoing re the Fylde coast and wondered if we could use one or two of the aerial shots to illustrate one of the pieces? Obviously, we'd acknowlege the source plus I could ask our editor to put a link in from our site to yours which may increase the traffic you pick up...notice I haven't mentioned money! Could you ask whoever has copyright if us old scholars could be allowed to crib a couple of your piccies?

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:27 pm 
Site Admin

Terry,

I'm not sure who owns the copyright on the individual photographs, but Frank (our Wyre Archaeology pilot) will be able to tell you. He's the one who takes everybody up so he knows who's taken what, where and when.

You can find Frank's email address in our 'MEMBERS' list, the link to which is right at the top of this page. (I don't broadcast e-mail links because...well...you know what spammers are like. I think you might have to be signed in to access the members list as well.) Just look for Frank Smith in the list. He should be there at about number five.

I suspect Frank took most of the photographs himself and I'm sure he (and any other copyright owners come to that) would be more than willing to let you use them.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:16 am 

Cheers Brian, have made a contact through your message service.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:57 pm 

Two more views of the golf course, first, the ponds, then the second one is a blow-up showing what apear to be remains of some features or structures. The one centre right I think could be the remains of the gun butts mentioned earlier, but in the lower left there is the trace of a rectangular feature on the same allignment. Anyone care to speculate?

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:13 am 

Thinking about those features later (in bed, sad or what), I wouldn't be surprised if they were constructed parallell to the coast at the time.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:15 am 
Site Admin

Frank,

I vaguely recall from when I used to haunt the golf course in my misspent youth (after hours, of course, and generally with a bottle of cider) that one of the 'hummocks' (or whatever the technical term is) had doors in it. That might be one the features, although I can't recall exactly where it was now. Presumably it's still used to store equipment, but it probably dates back to Wilfred Owen's time at Rossall Point and was simply reused by the golf club.

Possibly...

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:06 pm 

I'm not saying the structures in the photo are remnants of the points where targets were raised, but until sometime in the last 20 years there existed 2 brick faced structures (brick faced on the sea wall side, but covered with sloping, grassed earth on the other) they were quite large. Latterly, they were used to house tractors and other groundsmans equipment used for greenkeeping. Their original use was for target hoisting (and all the associated equipment and men), so that targets could be hoisted without risk of having a .303 round blowing your head off (or whatever calibre was used before the Lee Enfield existed). I'm not sure why they were demolished, but as kids we used to climb up the sloping side and sit on the top surveying our world (only on quiet days when we were on holiday and no golfers were out).

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:14 pm 
Site Admin

Terry,

They're the ones I remember. Actually, I only remember one of them, but it was usually dark and I'd consumed way too much cider when I visited the golf course back in those days, so it's hardly surprising.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:11 pm 

This structure (in the distance, just before the wall) is the remnant of one of these target structures, taken in 2006. If you line up with your back to Rossall Grange Lane, to the left of the Club House buildings, along the fence line, then that's were I took this picture from.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:15 pm 

And here's a close up, hopefully I've sized this one correctly (apologies for my ham-fisted sizing skills.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:29 pm 

Although not strictly speaking related directly to Rossall Beach, Frank has asked me to load this short essay on a walk to Lune Deeps. It was written, we think, about 1964, by R.W. Sutcliffe, then a pupil at Fleetwood Grammar School, for the school magazine and it is brought to you courtesy of R.W. Sutcliffe, the fgsonline editor, Bob Rotheram and www.fgsonline.co.uk.

Attachments:
lunedeep.jpg
lunedeep.jpg [ 99.36 KiB | Viewed 1098 times ]
Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:11 pm 
Site Admin

Terry,

I've shrunk 'em down a bit for you. I usually post my pictures at about 500 pixels in width at roughly 100 d.p.i. if that's any help.

Report this post