The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian

Discussion Forum for 'The Fylde and Wyre Antiquarian'
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:42 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian (in association with Wyre Archaeology).

Post subject: South Lawn - Waterloo Rd
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:32 am 

Just wondering if anyone has pictures or information on a house called "South Lawn". The property was at what is now 408 Waterloo Road and the site of 3 small blocks of flats built in 1962.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: South Lawn - Waterloo Rd
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:03 am 

Should have said, South Lawn is opposite Chadwicks Insurance/Berrys beds at the Oxford Sq end of waterloo rd

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:17 am 

The only photo of South Lawn I recall having seen is in the book “Marton 2000: A Pictorial Review” by the late Harold Monks and Philip Walsh, and the same photo can also be seen on Philip’s “Marton’s Past” Facebook group. The caption in the book reads:-
“1909, A view of South Lawn, Waterloo Road, near the Oxford. Built towards the end of the 19th century, it was the home of James Cardwell, builder and contractor. A Martonian, he was three times Mayor of Blackpool between 1892 and 1896, elected as an alderman of the borough and became a Justice of the Peace. Subsequently the residence belonged to Thomas Humber from Marton Bank Farm. Members of his family continued to live there until shortly before the house was demolished c.1960. The site was redeveloped as private flats by Richard D. Clegg Ltd.”
Certainly, the house does not appear on the 1892 1:2500 OS map and I don’t have any other information about it, myself.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:05 am 

Great, thanks, off to the library soon

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:18 pm 

1936 -James Cardwell was running his building and undertaking firm from offices and works at his house at 25 Whittam Avenue. He had moved there from the larger house, South Lawn on Waterloo Road, which he had built in the late 1890s. On the corner of Whittam Avenue at the time was Blackhurst’s provisions dealers (now the Berry’s Bed Shop). South Lawn flats opposite, were been built in 1971, by Richard Clegg, to replace South Lawn itself, which began to be demolished in 1961, after being vacated by Thomas Humber - the owner of Marton Bank Farm.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:22 pm 

Having recently researched my family history i have found that i am directly descended from this family, i have not quiet got the link to James Cardwell (mayor) as yet but i think that's down to me. There were also two family's of Cardwells living opposite each other at 329 and 336 Waterloo rd, (heads of these were bros) my great grandparents and uncles. These were all builders, also had a brickwork's near Stanley park. Main brickwork contractors for Winter Gardens, Grand Theater and the Tower. Even now generations later im a builder.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:17 pm 

Barry Cardwell, who runs the Lytam's Past Facebook group, has done a mass of work on the family tree.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:42 pm 

Cheers Nick, will join the group and ask, there's a Barry Cartmell doing admin if its the same fella?

Report this post