The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian

Discussion Forum for 'The Fylde and Wyre Antiquarian'
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:45 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian (in association with Wyre Archaeology).

Post subject: The Danes Pad re-visited and Roman coins thereabouts
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:00 pm 

There have been many posts on this site over the years with regards to the Danes Pad, the (allegedly) Roman Road that is marked on Ordnance Survey maps as running west out of Kirkham and then arching north towards Poulton and the River Wyre. However, definitive archaeological evidence to support the proposition that it was of Roman origin, is lacking at the present time.

But there is one source of evidence that cannot be questioned and that is the finds of individual Roman coins that have been made in the Fylde and Wyre over the last hundred years, and which have been recorded either by the Portable Antiquities Scheme or reported on in the local press. Professor David Shotter, in his book "Roman Coins found in North West England" records the find sites. I have collated all these finds sites, dating between the 1st and 4th centuries, as shown on the attached map. These do not take into account the hoards numbering hundreds of Roman coins, found around the Wyre and which date in the main to the 3rd century A.D., when the Empire was in a state of civil war and coins were hidden in the ground for safe keeping, possibly by people farming the land and who had previously served the Empire.

It may be presumed from the finds that the Romans were active in the Fylde and Wyre for hundreds of years. Wyre Archaeology intends to carry out a dig on the assumed path of the Danes Pad in the summer in the area of Westby west of Kirkham to seek evidence of its origins. Any information with regards to finds of Roman coins or artefacts that have been found on the route of the Danes Pad that would assist is linking the Romans to the Danes Pad would be most welcome.

Attachments:
Scan-010.jpg
Scan-010.jpg [ 134.54 KiB | Viewed 1244 times ]
Report this post

Post subject: Re: The Danes Pad re-visited and Roman coins thereabouts
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:46 am 

Interesting - but what new information can we gather from it? I was expecting plenty of finds near rivers but the ones "out of place", like a possible route from the Wyre towards Cockerham that you mentioned in your talk, are really confusing. I had a little browse around the PAS site to look for Roman coin finds in the last 10 years or so and it just confirms the spread shown on your map. A couple of finds that were dug up in Wesham attracted my attention. I've always thought that if there was Roman road from Kirkham towards the Wyre it would make more sense to go through Wesham and not travel a couple of miles west and then start turning north - unless there was something towards Blackpool that attracted them.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:01 pm 

At my metal detecting club meeting last night a member showed me a box containing 6 fairly grotty, but recognisable Roman coins he had retrieved from the beach at Lytham over the last 12 months. These all date from the 4th century and haven't been recorded in David Shotter's book. There must be hundreds more lying around. Image

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:17 pm 

Has anyone got photos of coins found at Fleetwood, taken in the museum there?.

Report this post