The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian

Discussion Forum for 'The Fylde and Wyre Antiquarian'
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:48 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian (in association with Wyre Archaeology).

Post subject: The Ivy Tree
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:27 pm 
Site Admin

Okay, here's one. The Ivy Tree on Dock Street in Fleetwood, historic in that it was the home of (as well as being designed by) Decimus Burton, Fleetwood's original architect. It's not quite gone yet...but it's sinking fast. Sound the clarion call and raise the Civic Society flag to halfmast:

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:04 pm 

This'll be the one that all mouth and trousers Joey Blower was going to restore. Except that he must have forgot about it and sold it for development as flats. Allegedly.

Yeah, the same bloke that bought the pier to bring entertainment back to the town but once again decided that flats make more money. Allegedly.

A legend in his own mind and as funny as AIDS.

Whoops. peace out, man.

Martyn

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:08 pm 

BTW The Ivy Tree is next to my father-in-laws house and before it was fenced off this summer, the Ivy Tree not the in-laws, I spent 30 minutes wandering around in there. It was small and tastefully decorated in an early seventies style although not in the best condition.

I returned some days later with my trusty camera but by then it was fenced off. A chance missed methinks.

Martyn

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:38 pm 
Site Admin

Martyn,

Definitely an opportunity missed. I used to frequent the place when it was a cafe...they cooked a mean cheese and onion pie and chips there...although, strictly speaking of course, Decimus Burton's pad was sandwiched, appropriately perhaps, between the cafe itself and your father-in-law's house.

I didn't know that Joey Blowhole had invested his hard earned wonga in the building. I had been told (and I have to be careful to cover my back here because the details are sketchy and probably unreliable...and, to be honest, I don't want to get sued) that the National Lottery Fund donated a large sum of money to Wyre Borough Council some time ago for the Ivy Tree's restoration...what with it being an historical building and all.

Somewhere down the line that money appears to have vanished and, eventually no doubt, so will the Ivy Tree.

Again, I re-iterate, that story is just a rumour, although all matters considered, it wouldn't surprise me.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: The Ivy Tree
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:58 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
History ... to rubble
Published Date: 16 December 2009

A MAJOR piece of Fleetwood history has bitten the dust.
The former home of 19th Century architect Decimus Burton – the man who designed some of Fleetwood's most iconic buildings – today lay in ruins.
After a 17-year wrangle over its future, the building on Dock Street had become dangerously unstable and had to come down.
Demolition crews moved in and by late yesterday all that remained of the original building (above) was a pile of wrecked masonry.
Developers agreed to replace the building with a near-replica – containing flats – to maintain the neo-classical appearance of the frontage.
Chairman of Fleetwood Civic Society, Margaret Daniels, said: "It's sad but inevitable, the building was so far gone.
"Burton lived there at one time so it's a key part of the town's history that has gone. It's a shame, but the building was beyond being redeemed."
The building has become so dilapidated even English Heritage said it could not be saved. It was last used as the Ivy Tree Cafe, but in the mid-19th Century it was one of the places used by Burton as he designed the new town of Fleetwood.
Burton designed the original street plan as well as the town's finest buildings, including Queen's Terrace and the North Euston Hotel, and both its lighthouses.
He had been hired by the town's founder Peter Hesketh-Fleetwood who was eventually bankrupted by the project.
After the owners of the cafe left there was a struggle to keep the building safe as it began to crumble and difficulty in getting planning permission. But in July this year C&C Developments got the go-ahead for 25 sheltered accommodation flats.
No-one from the company was available for comment, but they have previously said they hoped to get the replacement building finished in 2011.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:51 pm 

Ah! The barbarians are now in full control...this building could have been renovated, there just needed to be a will to do so...any building can be restored...even from rubble. If Decimus Burton's house couldn't be saved then nothing can, it's all up for grabs by the developers. The Victorian Society was set up because the post-war politicians were dead set on demolishing Victorian London, were they consulted about The Ivy Tree? There's a Fleetwood guy who I know who calls it "Why Bother Council", why indeed, when it's Fleetwood they just aren't bovvered, but since when has Fleetwood counted in the grand scheme of things? All the German cities were re-built after being plastered by Bomber Command, they managed to re-build in the style before Arthur Harris demolished 'em. If the Chairman of the Civic Society is pleading "NOTHING COULD BE DONE" then refer her to what Germany did after the war. One wonders what the Civic Society's remit is?

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:34 pm 
Site Admin

Terry,

My sentiments to a tee.

I've noticed round here that historic buildings get bought up, left until declared unsafe and then demolished without further delay. There seems to be a major loophole in the law that allows developers to get away with this sort of stuff. Mentmore and the Cleveleys Hotel went exactly the same way...not to mention Fleetwood Pier, of course.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:36 pm 

Brian,

Don't mention the pier, every time I go past its site I wonder if I'm in the right town, it just doesn't feel right. The listing of buildings began as an exercise to record all old buildings in the expectation that the Germans could well destroy many of them. These informal lists were incorporated into the Town and Country Planning Acts of 1944 & 1947. Having said that the listings went back to the late 1800s when a private enterprise body, The London Survey Committee began compiling lists of historic buildings. A similar ad-hoc group produced a listing for the Manchester area in 1904. It's a whole area of interesting history in itself. The moral of the story is that if you want action don't wait for government (locally or nationally). A book worth picking up for backround on the listing process is Transactions o the Ancient Monuments Society Volume 37 1993. Is anyone doing this for the Fylde, I wonder?

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:23 am 
Site Admin

Terry,

Me and Michelle are doing our best to compile as many unlisted buildings and other structures as we can, albeit in a simple 'and this building exists' sort of way.

Unfortunately, we're also caught up with everything else, namely uncovering our archaeological heritage before it's lost forever. We could seriously do with an extra 48 hours in each day, and a great deal more energy to fill them with.

There are a lot of old and historic buildings round the Wyre that, it seems, aren't listed anywhere, a surprisingly large amount of which date from the Tudor and Stuart periods. Most of them are in a sad state of dilapidation. It would be nice if we had some sort of Wyre Civic society who could, at the least, compile, survey and accurately record as many buildings as possible and, wherever they could, intervene when said buildings are threatened.

It would be a monumental task and require a lot of dedication to even half-complete though.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:39 pm 

Brian,

I do understand, none of the projects I'm doing or want to do are small. so I end up chipping away at a mountain with a teaspoon. The Wyre Historic Buildings List eh? I've done the title for you...

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:09 pm 
Site Admin

Terry,

Cheers. Now all we need to do is find somebody with a completely empty lifetime (and possibly a degree in surveying) to compile it for us. Any offers out there?

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:19 pm 

Brian,

Can I just point out...yer don't need to be a surveyor...just interested and willing to learn.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:02 am 
Site Admin

Terry,

I completely agree. A degree in surveying is not, of course, essential. I might actually throw the idea open to the various members at the next Wyre Archaeology meeting...you never know.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:27 pm 
Site Admin

Here's one to get any potential list compilers in the mood, fresh from tonight's Gazette:

Quote:
Calls for future of Blackpool landmark

Published Date:18 December 2009
By Shelagh Parkinson

CALLS have been made for Royal Mail to make a decision about the future of its former post office in Blackpool.
It is now more than two years since counter services were moved from the Grade II listed building in Abingdon Street.

Although there is a parcel collection service, and the rear of the property houses Blackpool's delivery office, there is growing anger that a permanent full-time use has still not been found.

Blackpool South MP Gordon Marsden said: "It's a great asset which the Post Office and Royal Mail need to make decisions on soon.

"We should not have a prime listed building in the centre of town not fully utilised. In the New Year we need some decisions from them."

Blackpool Council leader Coun Peter Callow added the council was also concerned there were no firm plans for the old post office.

He said: "Blackpool has got some fine buildings, but not as many as other towns and cities, so we can't afford for any of our iconic buildings to be allowed to fall into disrepair."

But Royal Mail said there were no current plans for the building.

A spokeswoman added: "Although we continue to consider a number of options for our building on Abingdon Street, we have no plans to redevelop the property or put it on the market at the moment. It will continue to house Blackpool's mail delivery office for the foreseeable future."

"...we have no plans to redevelop the property or put it on the market at the moment." Sounds familiar that, doesn't it?

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:42 pm 

The Post Office must have a huge property portfolio that they are now off loading. They have been shutting offices right left and centre and probably have Abingdon Street at the bottom of an in-tray or possibly in the pending tray. The re-developers will be eyeing this site up...the £ signs will be completely occupying their eye sockets. Be concerned if they, at anytime, say that the Abingdon Street site is the subject of a consultation exercise because that means they are definitely selling it to developers.

Report this post