The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian

Discussion Forum for 'The Fylde and Wyre Antiquarian'
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:42 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian (in association with Wyre Archaeology).

Post subject: Another 2ndC denarius found at Skippool
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:25 pm 

A few weeks ago I was metal detecting at Skippool and found a silver denarius of Faustina Junior dating to 145-175AD. She was the daughter of Antoninus Pius, Emperor 138-161AD; and the wife of Marcus Aurelius, Emperor 161-180AD. It is one of the few Roman coins to display the head of a female, albeit that she was also an Empress. The reverse shows "Spec", the goddess of hope.

This coin is potentially of some historical significance. The first denarius I recovered at Skippool some years ago was of Hadrian, 118-138AD, and the coin of Faustina surfaced only a few hundred yards away, both within striking distance of the river's edge So the two coins span at the very most, the years 118-175AD. We know the fort at Kirkham was occupied between around 70AD and 160AD. Whilst the sample is far too small to arrive at a definitive conclusion, it may be speculated that there is a link between the activity at Skippool, and the fort at Kirkham. Remember also that shards of Roman mortarium pottery have been found at Bourne Hill and Preesall Hill, which may have been signal posts, and would have needed to be supplied. The hoards of Roman coins recovered to the north of Skippool dated from the 3rd and 4th centuries and are more likely to have been connected to Romano/British farmhouses.

It is also far too small a sample to begin to presume any link between Skippool and the fabled Portus Setantiorum. It should also be noted that a port, in Roman times, denoted an offloading place as well as a port with permanent structures. But this coin is at least another small piece in the jigsaw of Roman activity in the Fylde.( I am showing the images separately, the last time I tried to add them, this message disappeared!)

Report this post