The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian

Discussion Forum for 'The Fylde and Wyre Antiquarian'
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:00 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian (in association with Wyre Archaeology).

Post subject: MYSTERY MOUNT
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:54 am 

I was alerted to a possible archaeological feature that someone had seen from a train as it passed through Kirkham. It appeared to the observer as a large piece of dressed stone, ( although he did apologise if it turned out to be concrete!), close by some recently dug trenches. I decided to have a close look at it if possible, and after a trek under the railway and through some marshy fields I found it and took a few photos. I’m sorry to say it was a concrete block after all, but of potential interest to industrial archaeology. As can be seen from the photos, it is a substantial piece of at least 1 cubic yard volume, but the interesting point is a metal mount with four studs on one face which will have been the top surface. The threaded studs, of around 1inch diameter, are set in a square of approximately 12 inches.
My first thoughts were maybe a relic from WW2, an AA gun or searchlight mount. I have shown the photos to an expert in the field who did not know of any such installations in the area, but will investigate further. Another idea was a signal post base from the railway, but why would such a large piece end up quite a way from the banking.
I have spoken to the farmer who dug the trenches, he has no idea what it is, nor the previous owner of the field, who wasn’t aware of it.
I have included a map and aerial shot indicating the location .
Any thoughts, anyone.

Report this post