The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian

Discussion Forum for 'The Fylde and Wyre Antiquarian'
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:40 pm

All times are UTC



Welcome
Welcome to The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian (in association with Wyre Archaeology).


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Meeting Wed 15 May
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:32 am
Posts: 323
Location: Preston
Agenda for next meeting and minutes of previous Ordinary Meeting 20 March:

WYRE ARCHAEOLOGY AGENDA 15 May 2013
1 CHAIRMAN WELCOME

2 APOLOGIES:

3 MINUTES OF LAST MEETING 20 March (below) / APPROVAL

4 MATTERS ARISING

5 TREASURERS REPORT

6 EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE

7 CORRESPONDENCE
a) Peter Iles b) Brian Hughes/Michelle Harris
8 EXCAVATION UPDATE


9 BIG DIG

10 AOB:


11 DATE OF NEXT MEETING: 19 June 2013

Minutes of Wyre Archaeology Group Meeting 20 March 2013
Present: P Ashman, D Berry, Chris Clayton, B Culshaw-Phillips, K Emery, D Hampson, Ted Lightbown, H Ricco, B Rigby, G Thornton. Guest: J Gallagher
1. Chairman welcome: Vice Chair Chris welcomed everyone to the meeting. For the benefit of guest John Gallagher members introduced themselves.
2. Apologies for absence: received from, P Asher, Pat Emery, D Hammond, J Fairclough, Carlo Ricco, M Shaw, F Smith, D Whalley, S Whalley, S Tingle.
3. Minutes of last meeting: Minutes of 20 February were approved as correct subject to amendment in Item 5 that should read ’...40 Harris & Hughes books...’.

4. Matters arising: a) Website – Suggestions for logo included image of Roman altar at Lund and the Saxon cross at St Helen’s church.

5. Treasurer’s Report: Gary reported that the account now stood at £456.60 and that an invoice for £173.56 had been received in respect of the annual insurance premium. We are awaiting payment for the printing of books on behalf of Fleetwood Museum which will generate a return of £320 so that the expected balance to be carried forward into the next year will be £588.

6. Executive Committee: None

7. Correspondence: a) Mains Hall: Secretary reported that no reply had been received from his attempts to contact the proprietors of Mains Hall.

8. Excavation Update Future Plans: a) Chris reported that he, Dave H and Dave B had taken a ‘tour’ of various potential dig sites ending up at Highgate Lane where he had spoken to the landowner. Unfortunately he is still unwilling to allow us to return to the site. Chris had also managed to identify the owner of adjacent land but he too is unwilling to have us dig there, however the field to the north of the site is still a possibility once the new owner is identified, the ownership being subject to probate. Chris will follow up this and other leads. Ken suggested that we may have overlooked the possibilities of excavation around Nateby, an area investigated by the group some time ago but worthy of re-examination. Sec offered to contact Peter Iles to ask for any relevant information.
Dave B reported that he and Dave H had visited the County Records Office to look at tithe maps of the area around Stalmine to investigate whether any old field names might give a clue as to possible traces of the Roman road. The Furness Abbey Coucher Book shows that some names have persisted from the 12th Century. Although there was little to indicate the presence of a Roman road, the Coucher Book did offer some hints as to possible locations of water mills in the area. A long discussion followed!
b) BIG DIG planning and possible dates will be an item for agreement after the AGM next month.


9. AOB: a) It was proposed and resolved that the society offer Brian Hughes and Michelle Harris Honorary Life Membership in recognition of their considerable contribution to both the practical and research activities of the society and to its finances. Sec will contact Brian to make them aware of this.

10. Date of next meeting: Wednesday 15 May at 7.00pm in Portakabin

_________________
DaveH


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

suspicion-preferred