The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian

Discussion Forum for 'The Fylde and Wyre Antiquarian'
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:48 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Fylde & Wyre Antiquarian (in association with Wyre Archaeology).

Post subject: Re: WW2 Stray Bomb
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:42 pm 

I've just had a look at 1940s aerials on Mario and I can see plenty of ponds that are still there now, but the one near the farm isn't. There are 2 in the region of the nautical college, which have now gone, but neither are in the exact postion nor are they anywhere near the same in size or shape, the 2 I found were much bigger than the one in question...so we have either one of these from the 1940s partially filled in and changed beyond recognition or the one in question is a totally newly dug one...I'm puzzled.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:51 am 
Site Admin

Terry,

I've noticed with some of the old ponds around Parr's that they have tendency to dry out, then fill up with grass, so that they're barely visible to the eye until you accidentally stumble into them. (I speak from experience here...and several painful limps.)

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:55 am 

Hadn't taken much notice of that pond before because I was looking further south, but can see your point, it does look strange and is about 200 yards from Fleetwood Road. Does anyone know where the tip was at that time? Pre-war aerial view would be good if available.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:02 pm 

I don’t know of any pre-war vertical aerial photos of Fleetwood, just some of the Blackpool area from 1935 or 1936.
However, looking at the 1940s images on Mario – presumably based on the 1945 Air Ministry photos that were kept in the County Archaeologist’s Office (in Ben Edward’s day), there seems to be some activity in the field between the present Nautical College and the tramway. Perhaps this was the refuse tip at that time.

Not really relevant, but here is a photo of a bomb crater on North Shore Golf Course.

Attachment:
Bomb crater North Shore Golf Course d.jpg
Bomb crater North Shore Golf Course d.jpg [ 236.35 KiB | Viewed 3839 times ]

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:07 pm 
Site Admin

I reckon that copper needs to work more on his slice...

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:10 pm 

Judging by the size of the crater in the photo I suppose it's possible that the crater(s) near Rossall never actually became ponds but were simply filled back in with the surrounding displaced earth! Also, does anyone have any more of the details from the incident reports? The reason I ask is that my Grandfather was an ARP warden and may well have been the person who reported the incident.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:11 am 

From what I can gather, a 1,000kg bomb could produce a crater 50 feet in diameter and possibly 10-20 feet deep. Depending on the soil type and conditions I can't see one of this size (or half that size) not producing a hollow that would produce a good size pond. What's odd about these reports are both indicate only one explosion per incident. Its possible that there were more in the stick and the others didn't explode...may be only one became armed. As I understand it, they become armed after a certain time interval between leaving the bomb bay and hitting the ground, if the aircraft was low enough and the arming process inexact enough or if the plane was not in level flight when they were dropped then it's possible some did not become armed and are now uxbs lying in the same general area. So, do be careful whilst digging on Bourne Hill, you never know! It would be interesting to pin point the crater sites and also know more about the incidents themselves. In soft ground a uxb could penetrate the earth to some depth and leave little evidence of its presence especially after 70 years.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:30 am 
Site Admin

Michelle was informed by somebody yesterday (who lived in Thornton when the incident happened) that the bomb was actually aimed (rather than just being off-loaded) at an anti-aircraft placement set up to defend the ICI on Central Drive...that's Central Drive in Thornton, of course, not the more famous Blackpool one. There'll be more info on this score, hopefully, as and when we get it...

Report this post